Director, Oncology Portfolio Decision Sciences, Open to flexible working
GSK R&D is entering an exciting phase of culture change in how we approach decision-making, portfolio analytics and insights to drive informed portfolio decisions. A critical success factor for improving decision making is providing decision makers with the right insights from robust portfolio analyses, including option generation, as part of routine decision making. With the focus on genetic evidence to improve success rates as a critical pillar of the new R&D strategy, we're looking for outstanding talent to help drive a streamlined and integrated approach to portfolio decision-making focused on balancing scientific merit and business discipline. Are you ready to undertake this challenge? Read below to find out more!
This is a high-impact role with significant interactions with R&D functional leaders and exposure to key internal and external portfolio decision makers and investors across the organization. You'll be responsible and accountable for evaluating and communicating insights from analyses, evaluations and forecasts on an asset/team level as well as within the context of the oncology portfolio. Your role will include understanding and communicating how scientific merit and study design, financial/commercial implications and strategic impact drive portfolio balancing decisions. You will enable decision making through rigorous, fact-based quantitative analyses and the synthesis of insights into actionable recommendations.
You'll be an important contributor to the Oncology therapeutic and disease area strategy and performance and will lead discussions with business partners and decision-makers on likely trade-offs and potential development/investment scenarios, strategic opportunities, and gaps. You'll also be accountable for portfolio-related analyses and the information flow between program teams, therapeutic area leadership, finance, operations and other relevant functional areas.
You'll work closely with R&D teams and across the organization (corporate strategy, business development, finance, Global Franchises, etc.) to develop integrated assessments and lead aligned portfolio optimization exercises, based on complex multi-factorial analytics. You will be able to clarify how decision nodes impact development plans, communicate outcomes of analyses, and justify recommendations towards facilitating decision-making at senior R&D Leadership.
We're looking for
You're experienced in portfolio management in oncology and are a change agent and innovative thinker.
You are skilled at monitoring the external environment for advances in data science, analytics and technology and are proficient in making use-case recommendations for applying such innovations to portfolio decision making at GSK.
You're intellectually curious with a track record of seeking out novel solutions to both project-specific and portfolio wide issues and demonstrates a high level of energy, enthusiasm and commitment.
Project and portfolio teams in discovery research work on innovative targets in the absence of any pre-clinical or clinical data. Individual programmes are considered from the perspective of the selected pathway in comparison to other targets under investigation for the respective disease area. Thus, systematic risk and probability analysis incorporates evaluative techniques focused on candidate quality, modality, developability, tractability, and other metrics of discovery research.
This new group is continuing to build expertise with a focus on 5 areas:
- Data-driven portfolio insights using internal and external lenses
- An objective perspective on GSK's portfolio relative to competitors
- Ability to drive challenging conversations in an open and constructive manner
- Utilising cutting-edge data trends/technology capabilities and applying to portfolio decision making;
- Driving organizational learning from decision making
This role is responsible for the following:
Providing objective analyses, ensuring alignment and a consistent approach across decision making bodies ; these analyses may include:
- Visualising and critically assessing the current and future state of oncology portfolio, facilitating decision making and the optimisation of resources and capabilities through data-driven analytics
- Developing and recommending appropriate trade-offs, based on rigorous decision analyses and risk assessment and mitigation
- Tracking and synthesizing external insights (e.g., benchmarking)
- Further developing and applying advanced analytics to inform and shape and facilitate team and senior leadership decision making
- Providing cross-portfolio assessments and recommendations with the ultimate goal of enabling senior leadership to make portfolio prioritization and investment decisions: supporting program/study and indication level prioritisation based upon scientific/clinical/strategic/operational/financial factors
- Working with colleagues within the portfolio team: to e.g., recommend areas of short-term and longer-term focus from a disease area, indication, modality perspective and offer risk mitigation approaches to optimize the GSK portfolio of assets overall while balancing and optimizing the oncology portfolio
- Driving business efficiency: staying current, anticipating internal and external drivers, evaluating and implementing cross-functional strategies to maximize productivity and efficiency
- Supporting teams across the lifecycle planning continuum (from discovery through development): guiding teams through strategic decision and financial analyses, facilitating team decision making, bridging portfolio decision discussion between teams and senior leaders
- Providing strategic direction to teams and senior leaders based on robust understanding of emerging technologies, scientific potential of novel targets and commercial potential across various indications and patient populations in oncology.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor's degree in scientific discipline
- 10+ years' experience in R&D, commercial, business and/or corporate development/consulting. Experience working within a global oncology portfolio management function: including experience performing and interpreting decision analyses, forecasting, valuations with ability to synthesize qualitative and quantitative findings into concise portfolio prioritization and investment recommendations
- Experience tailoring presentation materials and presenting to a variety of audiences including internal leadership and external partners
- Experience delivering under pressure while working through multiple ambiguous projects
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- MBA and/or PhD in scientific discipline
- Hands on experience with oncology clinical trials is highly preferred
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk, governance and control, managing ambiguity and paradox.
- Managing individual performance.
- Creating a performance culture and driving results, prioritisation, execution, delivering performance.
- Setting strategic direction and leading on-going organisational transformation.
- Building a resilient organisation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration in service of common goals, engaging the organisation and building trusted external networks for mutual benefit.
- Managing P&L and capital allocation.
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.