Strategy and Operations Director, Europe Mid-size & Cluster Markets, Open to flexible working
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
The purpose of the EMC Strategy and Operations Director is to provide business leadership, project management, facilitation, governance oversight, financial management, capability development, and oversight of strategic initiatives that drive performance and ensure successful delivery of IPTc medical objectives within the mid-size markets in Europe.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead key Medical business performance, capabilities and strategic initiatives to ensure the successful embedding of the IPT strategy across the EMC Medical organisation.
- Lead and oversee implementation of overall EMC strategic medical priorities including capability building, capacity & business planning, external engagement excellence, Medical Key Performance Indicator management and oversight, partnering closely with all cross-functional and matrix stakeholders.
- Work with the VP, EMC Area Medical Director, aligned Country Medical Directors (CMDs) and EMC TA leads to develop and implement strategic regional-level projects that drive performance, inform business decisions, enable excellence in external engagement, optimise operational effectiveness and have impact on the delivery of value to key stakeholders and customers. These may include projects related to process improvement, systems implementation, standardization or harmonization.
- Strengthen the regional TA commercial-medical operational interface to facilitate identification of select strategies and tactics that enable the EMC Medical region to deliver greater value to stakeholders, partnering with EMC Commercial Director for cross-functional alignment.
- Facilitate EMC Medical Leadership Team - ensure proper focus on organizational goals, identify improvement opportunities, and drive key initiatives that will enable continuous improvement across EU.
- Provide coaching and counselling to EMC Medical Leadership Team on the overall pulse of the organization - identify key change management needs of the organization and translate into key leadership initiatives for the organization.
- Partner with Global Medical Capabilities Directors, and Global TAs to develop and implement Medical capability and expertise training and certification programs for EMC as needed.
- Lead EMC talent planning and development activities to enhance talent pipeline, inclusion and diversity and career development.
- Proactively manage and develop talents through effective and robust development plans, embedding of Leadership expectations and use of the competency framework.
- Ensure alignment across rest of Europe and Global TAs with key strategic direction and regional/global initiatives through active engagement of key stakeholders :-
- Leverage Global GSK resources, enabling value delivery at Regional/LOC level.
- Represent European best practice and regional needs to central teams.
- Help develop global standard work and implement in EMC.
- Manage/drive/coordinate key central projects on behalf of the EMC VP, Area Medical Director.
- Partner with the VP, EMC Area Medical Director in driving the Europe Medical performance agenda in region and providing/analysing metrics to drive business decisions and performance.
- Attend senior stakeholder meetings on behalf of VP EMCArea Medical Director
- Drive a culture of high performance and continuous improvement.
Closing Date for Applications: Tuesday 13th April 2021
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements, please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor's degree preferable in the area of biology/biomedical sciences.
- Experience in a strategic and operations role within the pharmaceutical/healthcare industry.
- Proven track record of strong and innovative commercial and/or medical delivery.
- Expertise in product development and launch processes.
- Strategic and technical expertise in both LoC and 'above country' medical and implementation and launch process, with a track record in influencing strategic decisions.
- Proven track record of successfully managing a cross-functional team in a matrix environment to achieve team goals and in working with 'above country' teams.
- Excellent understanding of risk exposure and compliance requirements within the pharmaceutical industry.
- Proven track record in implementing projects and change management.
- Solid experience of driving performance and qualifications/experience in continuous improvement methodologies (e.g. ADP).
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best. When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing. Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.