Liaison/Project Officer - Full or Part Time
Liaison/Project Officer - Full or Part Time
NPL is establishing Regional partnerships - with industry and academia at the NPL Midlands centre currently based at the University of Birmingham.
Developing and brokering collaborative research projects and programmes which further develop the NPL Regional Hub in line with NPL’s Sector and Regional Strategies (under development). Identification of potential funding opportunities (public and private) including exploitation opportunities (NPI) to create impact.
The individual will be based in NPL office located at University of Birmingham while on the campus.
The role requires spending the majority of time facilitating the growth of collaborative research activities and identifying potential exploitation opportunities between the Partners and Industry by networking with Science leaders and researchers initially with a focus on University of Birmingham and NPL in defined thematic areas but very quickly looking for wider opportunities in other Regional organisations across the East and West Midlands. You will have the opportunity to influence the Regional strategy and capture the wider impact from delivery of research outcomes.
Acting as NPL’s Regional Co-ordinator in the Midlands and as the onsite Point of Contact and as such, will need to project NPL’s Values at all times, as well as maintaining a high personal profile with stakeholders. Regular interaction will also be needed with key stakeholders at Universities, relevant local industry partners and NPL (Head of Regions and Partnerships and Director of Research) in relation to all activities carried out during the secondment.
The role reports into the Head of Regions and Partnerships within NPL and close interaction will be necessary in order to ensure prioritisation, success and appropriate alignment with the strategic goals of NPL’s Regional and Impact from Science Strategies.
1. Using networking and influencing skills, identify new research areas for potential collaboration that will inform future tactical plans based around emerging areas of joint research. Develop a stakeholder’s map and funding opportunities available with NPL.
2. Identify collaborative metrology related projects which could be capable of delivering future new products and services for NPL and develop a document outlining suggestions for the key businesses within the region.
3. Interact with research leaders across the relevant areas in order to obtain their buy-in to the aims of the hub, identify and trigger joint research funding proposals. Measured by increases in collaborations with academia and industry in the region in several agreed themes such as Quantum, Life sciences, Advanced Manufacturing and Energy .
4. Further develop the NPL relationship based in UofB and raise the NPL Regional hub profile and offering within universities and innovation institutes in the region, as demonstrated through visibility at seminars and enterprise events; regular interactions with the University Knowledge Transfer Facilitator Community; enabling two-way researcher interaction through presentations and visits both at NPL and Regional Universities.
5. Assist the Head of Regions and Partnerships in the development of the Hub plans and reporting during the secondment. This will involve articulating and writing evidenced statements that feed into the overall strategy, aid the development of tactical plans for developing each of the Thematic areas and inputs into the monthly executive reporting.
Skills and experience
The role requires strong communication skills along with a broad technical awareness and the ability to manage a complex range of stakeholders across the Partner organisations and more widely into the region.
- Understanding and interest in science and research.
- Experience of working with academic institutions.
- Strong demonstrable stakeholder management - building and maintaining.
- Knowledge of project management processes.
- Able to manage own workload.
- Strong MS Office skills
NPL Management Limited is committed to supporting its people to develop both personally and professionally and is committed to equal opportunities. NPL Management Limited is a Stonewall Diversity Champion and an Institute of Physics Project Juno Supporter.
Please click "Apply" to make your application