Director UK Medical Affairs, Open to flexibility
- Contract Type
Director UK Medical Affairs, Open to flexibility
GSK is a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines and Consumer Healthcare.
We have a significant global presence with commercial operations in more than 150 countries, a network of 86 manufacturing sites in 36 countries and large R&D centres in the UK, USA, Italy, Belgium and China.
Our Vaccines business is one of the largest in the world, producing paediatric and adult vaccines against a range of infectious diseases. In 2013, we distributed more than 860 million doses to 170 countries, of which over 80% were supplied to developing countries.
At GSK Vaccines, we employ over 12,000 people worldwide, including more than 8,000 at our global headquarters in Belgium. Almost a quarter of our staff work in research and clinical development, inventing new and innovative vaccines against some of the world's most serious infections and diseases.
For more information please visit www.gsk.com
Support/leads the development and implementation of the Global Medical Affairs Strategies supporting to prepare the launch of a candidate subunit adjuvanted vaccines for herpes zoster in the United Kingdom, by providing Medical expertise, market access focus and insights to cross-functional teams within the organisation.
Knowledge and application of the ABPI Code of Practice, GSK Code of Practice, Scientific Engagement and applicable Policies and SOPs in all areas of GSK Medical Affairs.
- Under the supervision of the Global Medical Affairs Leader (GMAL), constructs a UK Medical Plan (MP), building input from global gap analyses, key LOCs (Local operating companies) and/or regional input, as well as stakeholder and customer input (external and internal)
- Ensures integration and alignment of relevant global, regional and local Regulatory, Clinical, Epidemiology and Health Outcome activities and provides medical support / advice in collaboration with the GMAL to these plans
- Ensure integration and alignment of the medical affairs strategy and plan with the Launch Excellence Process
- Participates and provides medical input to various meetings including: Vaccine Developments/Commercialisation Team (VDT/VCT) and associated streams, including Scientific Evidence and Access Stream(s) Internal medical training/ updates, Commercial meetings, Business and Development Intelligence meeting/activities etc.
- Contributes to the interpretation of the clinical / R&D / H-E / Epi data to provide medical input to development, scientific communication and commercial strategy and materials
- Under the supervision of the GMAL, drives the medical communication strategy for the product(s) including long term communication / publication planning
- Co-development and implementation of the integrated medical communication plan, , including medical leadership of the secondary publication plan
- Ensures that medical/ scientific communications are scientifically sound and aligned with strategy from a medical perspective
- Critically appraises, review and recommends changes to publications, commercial and clinical documents for alignment to strategy, clarity of messages and scientific accuracy.
- Agrees the execution of the External Expert Engagement Plan within the MP and implements the activities assigned in alignment with Scientific Engagement principles and relevant GSK policies and principles; external activities could include Advisory boards, External Speakers Programmes, Medical education, Medical round tables, HCP meetings
- Sound medical voice of GSK, able to represent the medical affairs team externally according to the level of experience and allocated product(s)
- Demonstrates professional and ethical attitudes in External Experts (EEs) interaction and in EE development activities
- Contributes actively to the success of congresses by fulfilling identified roles, including interpreting scientific information related to the field of responsibility, active contribution in delivering the congress report, active representation of GSK and of the product at the congress and pre-symposia planning activities. Presentation of GSK data during GSK satellite congress symposia or scientific sessions.
- Implements (may lead the implementation through others) the agreed elements of the EE Plans, works in collaboration with the medical operations team, Regional and LOC medical teams, VCT and involving all stakeholders to define strategic needs.
- Builds and maintains excellent professional relationships with External Experts in full respect of Scientific Engagement Principles.
- Manage agency partners, including setting agency brief, as appropriate - this activity may be managed in part by Medical Operation Managers directly, depending on the service being provided and who is driving the content.
- Provides medical insights and leadership to cross-functional teams working on the assigned GSK product(s).
- Develops internal training material under supervision of the GMAL but with increasing independence and provides medical training at internal meetings for the Zoster subunit vaccine to GSK Regional/ LOC medical teams
- Expert knowledge of data and literature related to the product/project(s); identification of important publications for communication to medical network and project team, preparation of position papers, rebuttals, feed-back on literature selection
- Actively contributes to the development of Medical Affairs processes and harmonisation activities
- Accountable for providing medical advice to commercial partners in the development of Key Claims and promotional material, ensuring in particular, balanced and proportional content, appropriately referenced, and aligned with product strategy.
- Conducts medical review and approval of promotional material in line with the Code of Practice and other relevant SOPs.
- Under guidance of the GMAL, provides medical input in the construction, writing and review of medical/ clinical data summaries for access dossiers.
- Ability to analyse scientific data (clinical, HE, Epi) and draw critical insights to understand how these address existing data gaps.
- Where critical gaps exist, ability to define these gaps in a manner that clinical, epidemiology and health outcomes partners can design appropriate studies to address.
- Ability to communicate complex technical data to a wide variety of audiences, including vaccine implementers, prescribers and global experts.
- Ability to identify the most appropriate paths of scientific communications that meet audience needs, and are consistent with GSK principles of Scientific Engagement
Closing date, Thursday 21st September 2017.
Salary: £ Competitive + Benefits
Location: Stockley Park, Uxbridge, Middlesex
You may apply for this position online by selecting the 'Apply' button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorisation before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorisation is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorisation being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.