Office Manager (part-time to full-time)
Position: Office Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Part-time to Full-time depending on candidate
Location: London, UK
Start date: January 2018
Facing History and Ourselves is an international educational nonprofit that provides educational content, curriculum resources, and professional development to secondary school social studies, civics, humanities, and English teachers. Facing History’s educational content is informed by a unique pedagogical model that helps students explore questions of identity, human behavior, prejudice, and civic responsibility, and make the essential connection between history and the moral choices they confront in their own lives today. Through rigorous study of history’s fractures and fault lines, students in Facing History classes learn that history isn’t inevitable, but is the result of both individual and collective decision-making. Facing History students learn to choose knowledge over misinformation, empathy over prejudice, and action over indifference. These are exactly the skills that the next generation needs to lift our global civic experience from division to connection, and to know that not only can they make a difference- they must.
With results that are proven to help create the next generation of informed, caring, and active citizens, Facing History is now preparing for transformational impact and scale through a new strategic plan. First, we will strengthen our core work of professional development for teachers of adolescent students by sharpening teacher engagement and honing content. Second, we will scale our impact by utilizing a ladder of engagement that incorporates digital, self and peer-service models. Third, we will “raise our voice” and engage the general public in targeted civic programming that will build our reputation.
The Office Manager will play a key role on our London team, working with all team members and colleagues in other offices, and interacting with our teachers, partners, Board Members and donors. The Office Manager will handle all administrative requirements of the office, coordinate logistics of Programme and Development events, and manage all expense tracking and financial reporting. We are ideally looking to hire a full-time Office Manager, but are open to a part-time schedule for the right candidate.
- Coordinate logistics for fundraising events, including venue sourcing and signing, communicating with speakers and Board members, and managing follow up processes
- Assist with managing logistics and budgets for other events such as community events, workshops and seminars
- Handle logistics and take meeting notes for quarterly Board meetings
- Communicate and maintain timelines and priorities on above events projects
- Coordinate London submissions to the Upstander, Digest and other internal publications
- Coordinate Facing History London website page monthly to ensure up-to-date and relevant resources being highlighted
- Responsibility for London Facing History twitter account
- Provide support to production and upkeep of marketing materials
- Oversee and facilitate the annual external audit
- Track and process orders, invoices and expenses
- Support the UK Director with fundraising activities as required, primarily including donor communications and gift processing
- Maintain records of financial transactions
- Responsible for upkeep of office space, equipment and resource materials
- Maintain, with Director, organisational planning documents, including agendas, annual events list and donor lists
- Maintain Salesforce data; regular checks with team to ensure input
- Support the UK Programme staff’s programmatic activities as required by liaising with teachers for planning and responding to enquiries as needed
- Maintain relationships with suppliers, venues, partners, Board and donors
- Serve as professional “front office” point of contact for teachers, press contacts, partners, donors, Advisory Board Members and senior volunteers
- Undergraduate Degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 2 years experience in similar field/role
- Highly-organised and proactive
- Ability to prioritise workload effectively to meet office needs
- Strong team player; collaborative worker
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Proficient in MS Office, basic office software apps; experience of Salesforce welcome but full training will be provided
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent and competitive compensation and benefits package.
Applications ONLY accepted online via the application method below.
Facing History proudly values diversity. To read our full statement on diversity, please follow the link from our careers page.