Finance Officer, Part time 20 hours/wk
Finance Officer, Part time 20 hours/wk
Job Summary: Responsible for all aspects of ERSA’s financial managements
Responsible to: Head of Membership Services
Location: Elizabeth House, York Road, London, SE1 7NQ
The Employment Related Services Association (ERSA), the representative body for the employment support sector, is seeking to appoint a part time Finance Officer who will be responsible for ERSA’s financial management functions.
Reporting directly to the Head of Membership Services, this role will suit a highly organised individual with experience of financial management. They will be expected to be a strong team player, able to multi task within a small team environment and who is financially literate with a good working knowledge of Sage.
Working hours will be 20 hours per week, with interested candidates able to request a specific work pattern.
ERSA benefits include a pension scheme and annual leave allowance of 25 days (pro rata), with an extra day per year after three years’ service, rising to 28 days.
Established in 2005, ERSA is the representative body for organisations either delivering or with an interest in employment support. ERSA has experienced rapid growth and now has around 250 members, ranging from large corporations through to small local charities. Over 70% of ERSA’s members are not for profit.
ERSA is an increasingly high profile organisation, seeking to ensure that a diverse sector is able to deliver the best possible services to the unemployed and potentially unemployed. The scope of ERSA’s work is broad: its policy areas cover issues related to programme design and operations, disability employment, youth unemployment, welfare reform, skills, employment of ex-offenders, among many others. Its event management is growing. In addition to the annual conference (300 people) and annual awards event (200+ attendees), ERSA organises a number of smaller conferences, events and training for members and other interested audiences.
Main purpose and key responsibilities
The Finance Officer will be responsible for the day to day financial management of the organisation. They will have access to a (remote) consultant Finance Director who carries out a small number of financial transactions for ERSA, including preparing the statutory accounts and VAT returns. Key responsibilities of this post will include:
- Using Sage (currently Sage Instant Accounts, but to be upgraded) on a daily basis for all aspects of accounts management
- Working with spreadsheets, sales and purchase ledgers and journals
- Inputting remittance payments into Sage and noting paid invoices in spreadsheets
- Calculating and checking to make sure payments, amounts and records are correct
- Reconciling finance accounts and direct debits
- Preparing reconciliation of the bank statement, credit card statement and Paypal transactions
- Preparing cash accounts for presentation to the board and
- Experience of the preparation of management accounts
- Supporting the CEO in monthly forecasting
- Answering any queries related to financial matters
- Managing online banking transactions and paying expenses
- Controlling credit and chasing debt with client accounts payable departments
- Liaising with ERSA’s payroll provider and making, salary, pension and National Insurance payments
- Assist in preparation of year end figures
- Liaison with accountants re corporation tax and input of VAT returns
- Assist with other ad hoc tasks as appropriate
- Use of Eventbrite and CRM to extract reports and membership details (training will be provided)
- Transitional financial management support to the Institute for Employability Professionals (IEP) including invoicing, processing payments and debt chasing. This will be subject to review periodically.
- Highly organised, with experience of running all aspects of financial management for a small organisation
- Financially literate, with knowledge of double entry bookkeeping. Ideally with Association of Bookkeeper qualification or equivalent
- An excellent knowledge of Sage software
- Highly computer literate, with ability to use Excel spreadsheets and other Microsoft software
- Good attention to detail
- A committed, diligent and adaptable attitude
- Well developed oral and written communication skills to aid liaison with membership
- A team player, able to play their part in team wide efforts such as the national conference and awards
Interested candidates are asked to submit a CV and covering letter explaining why they are suitable for this role via the application method below by 5pm on 26 September.
Candidates are asked to indicate in their covering letter their potential availability.
For any queries please contact Roger Horne by email, email@example.com.