Life Actuary - Associate Director, Open to flexible & home working
1 day left
- Contract Type
Join us and you’ll shape more than just your career
We believe we’re best positioned to make a meaningful impact on the economy. Every day, we provide a diverse range of organisations with the kind of business and financial advice it takes to do this. Our ideas and insights empower our clients to make big decisions about the future and unlock sustainable growth. With a relentless focus on quality and integrity, we help businesses, communities and our people to flourish.
Let’s talk about the job
If you enjoy working on a wide-reaching range of projects that will help businesses and communities flourish, you’ll fit right in. Here are some things you can expect from the Actuarial Team.
- Making quality second nature. This means doing what’s right even when no one’s looking. The work that you will do has a major impact on our clients and our firm. We pride ourselves on the high-level standards we have for the work that we do.
- Own your own work. – Lead from the front in-regards to delivering client work, engaging the Actuarial & Risk team and greater Financial Services teams to ensure correct skill utilisation on all projects.
- Be a part of a team – Take responsibility for developing more junior team members, understanding their carer aspiration and support in this delivery.
- Build your brand – Good communication capability to the internal population and the external stake holders to ensure we are always promoting our core values.
The minimum criteria
- Qualified Actuary or equivalent experience
- Experience managing internal or external stake holders and working with-in set project timeframes
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and exceed client expectations
- Monitoring junior team members work and coaching/career development
- A wealth of experience in a consulting role within Life Assurance including client development
Skills to set you apart
- Keeps abreast of relevant industry and professional developments and contributes to thought leadership.
- Builds a personal network from which to generate leads.
- Develops new business from own contacts and collaborative working with FSG colleagues or others in the wider firm.
- Contributes effectively to developing, launching and exploiting new initiatives and service lines to diversify the business.
- Takes an active part in networking events and introduces contacts to colleagues.
- Leads or speaks at industry, professional and client recognised external events.
- Participates in business development activities and contributes effectively to sales pitches and drafting proposals.
- Ensures client take-on is completed in accordance with Grant Thornton risk management procedures.
- Takes day to day management responsibility for delivery of a portfolio of client assignments.
- Takes responsibility for managing selected client accounts.
- Effectively manages client expectations regarding fees, delivery and deadlines.
- Acts as a role model for colleagues and demonstrates leadership.
- Is an approachable and respected member of the team who takes a proactive interest in the team's performance and wellbeing.
- Takes responsibility and ownership for wider team issues.
- Leads, manages, motivates and coaches team members, contributing to positive morale.
- Attends training to develop technical and personal skills; takes proactive steps to develop self awareness and performance.
- Assists with recruitment as necessary.
- Meets CPE requirements and completes return on time.
- Meets all relevant requirements of Actuarial Profession.
Operations and results
- Prepares fee estimates and budgets for client assignments and manages client expectations about changes and overruns.
- Contributes to ensuring maximum utilisation of staff and identifies and implements opportunities to work more efficiently.
- Ensures bills are raised accurately and promptly, fees are collected in a timely manner and debtors are kept to a minimum.
- Ensures compliance with, and adherence to, the firm's risk management policies and procedures.
- Keeps partners informed of progress, draws issues to their attention and implements agreed actions.
- Designs and undertakes high quality analytical work requiring minimal input from directors and partners.
- Writes high quality, professionally presented reports, requiring minimal input from directors and partners.
- Deputises effectively for partners and directors when they are unavailable.
- Ensures all files are closed down on completed projects in accordance with Grant Thornton policy.
- Projects a confident and professional image.
Do you care about the same things we do?
We have six values we work by. When we meet, we’ll want you to show us how they’re important to you, too.
Collaboration: We work together, share ideas and always make time to help each other out.
Leadership: Everyone has the chance to lead their own projects.
Excellence: Quality is central to our purpose. We love what we do, and it shows. We sweat the details. We see things through, no matter how tricky.
Agility: The world moves quickly. To keep up, we stay flexible – changing approaches, changing projects, working offline, online, together and alone to get things done.
Respect: A given, of course: we value each other and our clients. We listen, we understand, we care.
Responsibility: The decisions we make and advice we give affects people’s lives and livelihoods. We take that seriously and always do well by doing what’s right.
Bring your whole self
Now you’ve seen our values, it shouldn’t be a surprise that we’re creating a respectful, open, diverse place to work. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues, is not just the right thing to do, it helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
“We are committed to making sure that the opportunities within our firm are equally accessible for everyone – regardless of background or gender.” Dave Dunckley, CEO
There’s more to life than work
Families, children, sports, night classes…the things you do and the people you’re with outside work matter. They can inspire, motivate and energise you. Inside the office and out. So if you’d like to work flexibly, let us know. We’re happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we’ll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.
For further information and to submit your application please click 'Apply'.