Data Engineer - open to flexible working and returners
Data Engineer, Advisory Corporate Finance Technology, Financial Advisory
Are you naturally curious about the world and making things better? We are. We make use of the deep heritage of Deloitte and the amazing Intellectual Property within the firm to challenge the old and influence what is yet to happen. We design and deliver technology assets that solve our clients’ most complex challenges in a swift and radical way through the agility of a start-up, within the ecosystem of a $35bn global business.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
To become the undisputed leader in professional services by 2020, Deloitte has made Innovation a centerpiece of its investment strategy. It is critical to solving our clients' toughest challenges; attracting and retaining the best talent and ultimately, ensuring the future success of our firm by turning disruption into opportunity.
To support this exciting strategic initiative, this is your opportunity to join Deloitte's growing Advisory Corporate Finance Technology (ACF Tech) team, based in London. ACF Tech harnesses innovative technology and the latest programming techniques to solve our clients’ most complex and immediate issues. The team designs and builds innovative solutions to critical business problems in corporate finance. We provide specialist services to large and complex data-driven projects throughout the wider firm.
Our team comprises a group of specialists drawn from a wide range of different professional and technical backgrounds. If your background is in data, you will find opportunities to both grow your portfolio of skills and lead at what you do best. In return for your continued success, interest and commitment, we will provide you with a variety of interesting tasks, a comprehensive training program and a structured career path.
You will work closely with development communities across Financial Advisory and the wider firm to learn and collaborate with specialists from both technology and finance fields to deliver solutions that matter to our clients.
As a Data Engineer, you will:
- Design and build complex data models to perform analysis on large, diverse datasets;
- Work on projects across the life cycle – scoping the client’s requirements, developing the solution architecture, performing data transformation, cleansing, loading, testing and QA, implementing into the client’s environment, and providing user training and documentation.
- Advise clients on how to draw actionable insights from their data and the value that data analytics and visualisations can bring to their organisation.
- Take ownership for the assigned deliverables, keep the team updated on progress, flag potential issues and help build credibility for the team.
- Work to tight deadlines, adding value on complex, high profile and sensitive projects.
- Support business development initiatives such as preparing proposals.
- Actively promote knowledge sharing within the team and develop your own network of contacts across the wider Deloitte firm and with clients.
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Location: London with a requirement for national and international travel for specific client projects. We work across various industries – our clients are wide-ranging, and associated projects will vary in both location and duration.
Suggested work pattern: This is a permanent role with options for flexible working. At times work may be required outside standard office hours in order to meet the needs of our clients.
Your professional experience
To qualify for the role you need to have:
- A strong academic track-record including an excellent degree in Computer Science, Operational Research, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or highly numerate science.
- Strong business diagnostic skills and the ability to apply a logical and analytical approach to problem solving.
- Proven experience in SQL to at least intermediate level and significant experience in one or more of the following technical areas:
- Data loading / transformation;
- Database design and development (Microsoft SQL server preferred);
- Data analysis, including use of relevant platforms (e.g. R, Python, Hadoop, Spark);
- Data modelling (e.g. SSAS, AAS, Power Query);
- Reporting and data visualisation (e.g. Power BI, Tableau)
- Have excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and the ability to explain complex technical issues to non-technical staff.
- Experience of building, maintaining and managing client relationships.
- Leadership potential enabling you to become a “partner of tomorrow”.
Desirable experience includes:
- Experience of cloud-based data environments.
- Experience in delivering analytical solutions within a project-based, client-focused environment.
- Financial or accounting skills or qualifications.
In order to apply
If you are motivated and excited by this opportunity please send your details to us by applying online with your CV and a brief covering letter outlining your motivation in applying to join the Digital ACF team.
Your service line: Financial Advisory
Advising clients in the moments that define their business takes multiple layers of expertise. This is about diverse teams of specialists coming together, crossing service lines and international borders to tackle the many, complex issues involved in major transactions. And we have one of the broadest networks in the business. Here, you’ll find fascinating, career-building projects, market leading approaches, cutting-edge resources, huge clients and inspirational colleagues. As well as opportunities to develop a deep industry or product specialism.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.
Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NSE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee ("DTTL"). DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL and Deloitte NSE LLP do not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more about our global network of member firms.