Cloud Infrastructure Engineer 4 days/week
Cloud Infrastructure Engineer, part time - 4 days per week
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Arup is making increasing use of cloud computing infrastructure for delivery of client projects and commercially-driven R&D programmes. Across our businesses, we are applying best practices in how we define, deploy, and manage our cloud infrastructure; this role will be central to further defining these and helping ensure they are adopted throughout the work we do.
The role will be based in a small but rapidly growing team of developers, data engineers and data scientists, and visualisation and UX practitioners. Your primary focus will be an ambitious and exciting R&D project, but the tools, practices, and culture we put in place will have an impact across the company, globally.
In this role you will design, develop, deploy and help operate the global cloud infrastructure that supports our applications and services to clients. You will bring technical excellence and a passion for building and operating scalable, secure, distributed systems, and automating these wherever possible.
You know that adoption of cloud computing is as much about ways of working as it is about the technology, and have demonstrable experience of leading and mentoring others on this journey.
Requirements and Skills
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
•Expert, demonstrable experience (typically around 5+ years)in cloud computing platforms, preferably AWS.
• Linux system administration, including common services e.g. database and web servers, load balancing, auto-scaling.
• Network design and configuration, e.g. VPCs, VPNs, routing.
• A talent for designing effective, resilient, distributed system architectures.
• Demonstrable experience of designing and operating secure cloud environments.
• Extensive experience with Infrastructure-as-Code and configuration management principles and tools, e.g. Terraform, CloudFront, Chef, Puppet, Ansible.
• Experience of developing continuous integration/deployment workflows and tools, and supporting others in using these.
• Experience designing monitoring solutions for high availability production environments.
• Extensive experience with agile methodologies, test-driven development.
• A highly rigorous mindset and approach to your work.
• Bachelors degree in a numerate discipline.
• Experience of mentoring and leading others.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
• Experience supporting big data analytics frameworks (e.g. YARN, Hadoop, Spark), message queuing frameworks (e.g. Kafka), and distributed databases (e.g. Cassandra, ElasticSearch).
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
To make you application please apply via the application method below