Senior Software Data Engineer - flexible hours
Engineering, software, data engineer, central London, part time
Our client is a global engineering firm offering a broad range of professional and consulting services.
They are seeking a Senior Software Data Engineer to join their small but growing team of developers, data engineers and data scientists, and visualisation and UX practitioners. The primary focus will be an ambitious and exciting R&D project, but the tools, practices, and culture they have put in place will have an impact across the company, globally.
In this role, you will write production-ready code to acquire, cleanse, manipulate, store and retrieve data from a wide range of sources using leading edge open source tools, in the cloud. You will be a talented and experienced developer who assumes the use of best practices in agile and test-driven development. While happy to work under your own initiative, you function best as part of a team, and enjoy mentoring others.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
- Demonstrable evidence of typically over 5 years’ experience of leading, developing and delivering data driven solutions.
- Extensive experience in a mainstream object-oriented language, e.g. Java, Python.
- Confidence working on the command line (OSX, Linux).
- Extensive experience working in a cloud environment, preferably AWS.
- Extensive experience with agile methodologies, test-driven development, continuous integration/deployment, version control
- Data modelling / schema design (relational and NoSQL).
- SQL and NoSQL databases (e.g. Cassandra, MongoDB)
- Experience of API and microservice design.
- A talent for designing effective system architectures.
- A highly rigorous mindset and approach to your work.
- Bachelors degree in a numerate discipline.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
- Graph databases and data warehousing experience.
- Open source messaging, stream processing and ETL frameworks (e.g. Kafka, Storm, Beam).
- Parallel analytics and query frameworks (Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Pig).
- Linked Data/RDF, RDFS.
- Experience of mentoring / supervising others
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a global business in their technology team on a flexible working basis.
- Flexibility - 4 or 5 days a week (flexibility on hours and working patterns)
- Location - Central London
- Salary - up to £65K FTE plus benefits