Design/UX Researcher - NEXT, Open to flexible working
The NEXT team exists inside GSK Consumer Healthcare Digital team. Our remit is to explore and grow disruptive new propositions in everyday healthcare (what we call the 10%). We work agnostic of our current brands, product formats or business models to create new, high-value commercial opportunities by enabling better ways for people to prevent and manage ill-health.
Our team of passionate, curious Founders, Experience Designers, Data Scientists, R&D Experts, Software Engineers, Tech thinkers, Project Leaders, Regulatory Advisors and Medical SMEs works in highly cross-functional, collaborative ways. Our approach is hypothesis-driven and we experiment rapidly towards evidence of consumer and commercial value.
Through a DABL-based approach to experimentation, our remit is to create new, disruptive businesses which we conceive and incubate for 2 years, understanding our P&L, go-to-market and operational plan to scale. We are doing this as the Consumer Healthcare division prepares to spin-out to become the world's largest consumer healthcare-focussed business during 2022.
The Design Researcher will report to the Global Head of Innovation - Consumer & Business Insights and Analytics (CBIA). Day to day, you are embedded within, support, and partner key stakeholders in Next. Core to the success of this role is the ability to apply cutting edge insights & analytics approaches which put human understanding and foresight at the heart of Next's innovation programme.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following:
- Work in partnership within a tight, cross-functional team which is always seeking to test, launch and learn early - then iterate quickly
- Discover and champion user needs and aspirations with the team - taking all opportunities to cultivate empathy and get the Next team closer to users
- Contribute to ideation of value propositions as part of a diverse, cross-functional team
- Consider, recommend and apply the most effective insight approaches to meet the team's learning objectives
- Maximise the speed with which we can achieve the learning
- Scout for and innovate new insight creation techniques, expanding the Next Insight toolkit to cover all relevant qualitative, quantitative and analytical approaches - including leveraging behavioural science, anthropology, foresight / trends and predictive approaches. You will ensure our team is always working with the best possible approaches to generate insight for competitive advantage
- Run user insight workshops and guerilla testing, both yourself and via identifying and managing appropriate insight suppliers
- Organise and clearly communicate insights and actionable recommendations to the team. Influence and inspire buy-in and contribute to deciding next actions
- Recommend success criteria for designs/insight stimuli
- Contribute to the understanding of competitor value propositions
- Support our engineers during development phases
- Manage insight project budgets - balancing cost efficiency and pragmatism with ensuring an optimal approach
- Be able to tell the Next story, describe ways of working and represent work and decisions. Share best practice from Next with the broader CBIA community
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Have a proven track record of managing agile user experience / insight delivery, preferably including 'client side' in a leading consumer goods / services company or fast-developing start-up or early-stage company
- Have a full understanding of all qualitative and quantitative user / consumer insights & analytics approaches needed from discovery through to alpha / beta testing and live / in-flight optimisation
- Relish marrying up the need / question to be answered with the best approach
- Ensure that Next is using the best cutting-edge techniques
- Be experienced in coordinating and running usability, focus group and remote testing
- Enjoy 'rolling up your sleeves' and seek out opportunities to gather insights directly from customers/users and stakeholders
- Be open and collaborative: eager to take ownership but also to prioritise the success of the team
- Have great instincts and be willing to form a hypothesis / make judgement calls where necessary -eager to find the 'truth' and data driven
- Be willing to challenge and proactive in bringing forth new ideas
- Be able to thrive in a fluid entrepreneurial environment where agility is essential and uncertainty commonplace. Able to adapt and respond quickly and to establish a path and plan where one does not currently exist
- Be able to synthesise signals quickly and fuel the team with the 'so what' and 'what next'
- Be able articulate your decisions and recommendations in terms of their value to the team and to inspire buy in
- Be comfortable negotiating with and managing partner insight suppliers
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.