Assistant Director, Portfolio Lead Advisory Services - open to flexible working
Deloitte Advisory Corporate Finance provides corporates, private equity houses and other clients with a full suite of M&A services advising on acquisitions, divestments, buy-outs and capital raisings, a significant number of which are cross-border or international in nature.
This service line is divided into product and sector teams. The product teams cover debt advisory, plc advisory, special situations (difficult/distressed M&A) and valuations. The sector teams comprise Business Services, Consumer, Financial Services (or Financial Institutions Group – FIG including PLAS), Healthcare, Manufacturing, Real Estate, THL (Travel, Hospitality and Leisure) and TMT.
Specifically, this is your opportunity to join a fast growing and innovative M&A team specialising in the Financial Services Industry. The team focuses on providing world class M&A services to the UK and Europe’s leading Financial Institutions and Private Equity Houses.
We are part of North West Europe Financial Services Advisory and work closely with our Nordic, Dutch, Belgian, Irish, Swiss and other European colleagues, both on project-specific assignments and on long secondments, which gives you a great opportunity to explore the M&A market from a UK and international perspective.
We are building the team and are looking for outstanding candidates to work alongside us.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
Deloitte’s Portfolio Lead Advisory Services (“PLAS”) team is a recognised leader in UK, European and global loan portfolio strategic and transaction advisory. The team has advised governments, financial institutions, regulatory authorities and global private equity firms on deleveraging and loan portfolio transactions across every major asset class covering over €750bn of assets.
The Deloitte PLAS team is a trusted name within the loan buyer community providing confidence to buyers and sellers of a successful loan sale transaction; it continues to have exceptionally strong deal and project flow across multiple jurisdictions.
The PLAS team broadly offers three key services:
• Sell-side advisory - full service market advisory to financial institutions and sellers of loan portfolios from strategy and preparation to sales execution.
• Strategic advisory – advising financial institutions on loan portfolio analysis; development and implementation of strategic deleveraging options; structural and operational opportunities to maximise value including bad bank establishment, operational carve outs, operation wind-downs and outsourced servicing.
• Buy-side acquisitions – supporting investors with all aspects of due diligence on loan portfolios including analysing, understanding and pricing.
Our clients are at the centre of what we do. Developing a deep understanding of their business and commercial environment is essential for our success. As such, the successful candidate will also spend time building lasting client relationships based on deep industry knowledge and relevant research.
We are currently looking for an Assistant Director to join the team. You will be responsible for
• Advising on a range of buy-side, advisory and sell-side transactions.
• Leading transactions, which includes extensive project management, coordinating the preparation of data tapes, information memoranda, valuation analysis and taking responsibility for the preparation of information and client communications.
• Deep understanding of loan portfolio analytics, pricing and cash flow modelling.
• Acting as the central point of contact for key clients during high pressured and complex transactions.
• Support clients through the options analysis, planning and implementation phases of projects. These could comprise, inter alia:
o the development of deleveraging plans
o asset quality reviews
o loan work-out capability assessments
o loan servicing benchmarking and assessments
o planning and implementation of the wind down and closure of banks
o recovery and resolution plan review
o good bank/bad bank separation
o bank resolution and insolvency analysis and implementation
• Lead cross-functional and multi-jurisdictional teams in the design and development of financial analysis to direct and support strategic and tactical decision making and impact analysis
• Work closely and collaboratively with client staff to deliver projects using outstanding technical skills and commercial awareness along with a willingness to deliver results
• Take an active role in business development initiatives across Europe
• Be innovative in developing client solutions and also in driving the PLAS strategy forward in Europe
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Location: You will be based in the Deloitte London office, however the role may also involve travel and will require the flexibility to meet peaks of work inherent in the cycle of a deal. Given the global reach and coverage of PLAS, overseas travel to Europe could be a prominent part of the role and often at short notice.
Work pattern: Permanent full-time
Your professional experience
To qualify for the Financial Services Advisory team role you must have:
• Significant experience in an M&A lead advisory role with experience in managing deals, particularly in the non-core space (Loans, REOs, platforms, etc.),
• Ability to work under pressure often in the face of time constraints and competing priorities. Enthusiasm for and previous exposure to the financial services sector
• Excellent numeracy skills with keen attention to detail and the ability to absorb and analyse large amounts of data quickly
• Ability to undertake detailed financial/commercial analysis for inclusion in client reports
• Client focus, with ability to work quickly and establish effective working relationships
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Logical and methodical approach to problem solving
• Very strong project management and organisational skills
• The self-confidence/appetite to be involved in business development activities
• Ability to develop, coach and motivate junior members of the team
• Strong Microsoft Powerpoint and Excel skills. Programming and analytical tools experience would be an advantage.
Working within the PLAS team will provide you with regular client exposure at a senior level and the opportunity to collaborate with many other cross service line teams, thereby enabling you to develop skills which are in high demand and provide excellent prospects for your career progression. If you are motivated and excited by this opportunity, please send your CV.
Your service line: Financial Advisory
Advising clients in the moments that define their business takes multiple layers of expertise. Much more than due-diligence, this is about diverse teams of specialists coming together, crossing service lines and international borders to tackle the many, complex issues involved in major transactions. And we have one of the broadest networks in the business. Here, you’ll find fascinating, career-building projects, market leading approaches, cutting-edge resources, huge clients and inspirational colleagues. As well as opportunities to develop a deep industry or product specialism.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
• We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
• We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
• We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
• We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
• We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.