Director of External Reporting, Open to flexible working
GlaxoSmithKline Healthcare is looking for a highly experienced External Reporting specialist to join our rapidly growing Group External Reporting and Accounting team. This is a unique opportunity to join us in a newly created role as we separate the GSK Healthcare division from the wider GSK Group as an independent business. As a result, we are looking for someone with excellent IFRS technical skills as well as initiative and resilience to anticipate needs and navigate new processes, all while leading, motivating and building a team.
The Director of External Reporting is responsible for leading the external reporting team and has key responsibilities for managing and coordinating the external reporting activities for the GSK Healthcare Group. This role is involved in high profile transactions and will act as the main accounting adviser for some key elements of these transactions assisting other businesses within the Group to understand the practical application of the Group finance manual. The job holder will have project responsibilities, such as the implementation of new accounting standards and the improvement and development of existing processes.
In addition to the above, the key responsibilities will be:
- Manage the external reporting requirements of the Group
- Prepare Group IFRS accounts
- Co-ordination of the timely and accurate delivery of the Group Annual Report
- Co-ordination and review of the notes disclosures for the Group Accounts
- Management of the SOX controls framework for the team
- Liaise with the external auditors
- Coordinate the preparation of interim financial information
- Preparing and reviewing accounting papers
- Resourcing, motivating, developing and training the members of the team
- ACA/ACCA qualification or equivalent
- Demonstrable experience with IFRS, FRS101 and FRS102
- Experience of managing a team
- Practical PLC exposure
- Strong numerical skills and excellent attention to detail
- A strong control focus
- Communication skills: Must be able to communicate confidently and effectively (verbal and written) within the team and with people in a range of disciplines from external auditors and other functions within the Group which may have varying levels of knowledge and understanding of accounting.
- Ability to work across boundaries: Stakeholders may be based in different locations around the world or within other functions within the Group.
- Ability to prioritise and work on multiple activities in parallel: The role covers daily operational deliverables and ad hoc projects with focus on managing multiple reporting deadlines and delivering results.
- Ability to explain complex financial concepts in simple terms: The role is involved in managing and accounting for potentially complex transactions. The role holder is expected to be able to explain complex financial concepts in simple terms to a wide range of stakeholders.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.