Assistant Director, Advisory Corporate Finance M&A - open to flexible working and returners
Assistant Director, Advisory Corporate Finance M&A, Financial Advisory
Deloitte Corporate Finance Advisory provides corporates, private equity houses and other clients with a full suite of M&A services advising on acquisitions, divestments, joint ventures, buy-outs and licensing, a significant number of which are cross-border or international in nature.
This service line includes regional, sector and specialist product teams. The regional teams provide geographic coverage of key markets, with teams based in the Midlands, North West, the South, North East, Yorkshire and Scotland. The sector teams comprise Business Services, Consumer, Financial Services, Healthcare, Manufacturing, Real Estate, Travel, Hospitality and Leisure and TMT. The product teams cover debt advisory, plc advisory, special situations and valuations.
The Midlands team is seeking to expand with the recruitment of a highly driven and motivated individual to support the significant pipeline of deal flow.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
The Birmingham Advisory Corporate Finance team provides specialist M&A advice focused on delivering the maximum value to our clients as they undertake acquisitions, disposals, buy-outs, and capital and debt raising.
Our diverse team of 15 advises shareholders, investors, and the management teams of companies predominantly across the wider Midlands area. Our team structure will enable you to work alongside senior members of the team and provide you with good exposure to the key decision makers at our clients.
Most transactions involve working with other Deloitte Corporate Finance Advisory specialist sector teams and other Deloitte service lines such as Transaction Services, Debt Advisory and Tax. The transactions are a mix of sell-side, buy-side, debt raise and management advisory mandates across corporate, private equity and entrepreneurial business clients.
We are currently looking for an Assistant Director / Senior Manager to join our growing and successful team. You will be responsible for:
• working on a range of buy-side and sell-side transactions
• assisting with day to day management of transactions, which includes preparation of information memoranda, management presentations, valuation analysis and taking responsibility for preparation of information and client communications
• researching the industry for both deal origination, transaction analysis and sector insight
• financial modelling, including Discounted Cash Flow (DCF) and Leverage Buyout (LBO) analysis, and valuation work
• contributing to marketing and business development opportunities
• coaching and mentoring more junior team members
• working effectively in diverse teams within an inclusive team culture where people are recognised for their contribution.
We are looking for someone who is motivated, driven and eager to learn. You need to have good communication skills as we deal with CEOs, MDs, and investment decision makers on a day-to-day basis. The work is challenging but rewarding with transactions generating new scenarios where innovative solutions are required. We can be required to work longer hours to deliver to tight timetables, so being prepared to be flexible and roll your sleeves up is important.
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Location: You will be based in the Birmingham office, however the role may also involve travel and will require the flexibility to meet peaks of work inherent in the cycle of a deal. We specify full mobility for our financial advisory roles but we make arrangements respectfully. We anticipate some degree of working from home when the option of returning full time to the office is available depending on clients, deadlines, projects, and effective team working arrangements.
Suggested work pattern: Permanent full-time
Your professional experience
• Demonstrable mid-market lead advisory corporate finance experience either in practice (Big 4 or 2nd tier firm), an advisory boutique, or from an industry role (e.g. in-house M&A).
• Previous experience of a specific industry sector focus is helpful but not essential.
• Strong academics, including ACA/CFA/CFQ or equivalent (desirable but not essential depending on other experience).
• Excellent numeracy skills with keen attention to detail and the ability to absorb and interpret large amounts of data quickly.
• Client and team focus, with ability to work quickly and establish effective working relationships.
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent level of meeting and presentational skills.
• Ability to quickly identify key issues and a logical and methodical approach to problem solving.
• High level of project management and organisational skills.
• Ability to undertake detailed financial/commercial analysis for inclusion in client reports.
• Proven ability to coach and develop more junior team members.
• Experience of business development activities, including targeting and pursuits, and a desire to be involved in pitching.
Your service line
Advising clients in the moments that define their business takes multiple layers of expertise. This is about diverse teams of specialists coming together, crossing service lines and international borders to tackle the many, complex issues involved in major transactions. And we have one of the broadest networks in the business. Here, you’ll find fascinating, career-building projects, market leading approaches, cutting-edge resources, huge clients and inspirational colleagues. As well as opportunities to develop a deep industry or product specialism.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
• We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
• We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
• We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
• We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
• We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.
Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NSE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee ("DTTL"). DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL and Deloitte NSE LLP do not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more about our global network of member firms.
© 2020 Deloitte LLP. All rights reserved.
Requisition code: 181156