Customs & Excise Manager – Guinness Ireland, Open to flexible working
Diageo is the world’s leading premium drinks company with an outstanding collection of brands, such as Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff, Baileys, Captain Morgan, Tanqueray and Guinness. Our purpose – Celebrating life, every day, everywhere – has an important role in our company, for our people, our diversity, our brands, in how we perform and how we create shared value.
About the role:
This role will lead the customs & excise agenda for the Guinness operations in Ireland, including export compliance, warehouse operations, license requirements, new product launches and broker management .
Customs & Excise Manager – Guinness Ireland will report to the Regional Customs, Excise and Trade Compliance Team which sits under PCSL (Planning, Customer Service and Logistics).
Key Internal interactions:
- Regional Supply business partners and business unit leaders – develop and maintain a strong working relationship and keep up to date with business priorities and developments
- Global Trade Governance Centre of Expertise Team, Specialist global functions – Legal, Cr and Global Tax. Collaborating with these functions as required to deliver end to end Supply chain efficiency
- Regional DEO – maintain a good working relationship with the DEO customs and excise team
- Supply Governance & Change – provide specialist global trade support to the delivery of change programmes
Key External Interactions:
Customs & Excise authorities – proactive management of the relationship with customs and excise authorities – including
- Managing site audits and resultant enquiries
- Providing documentation where requested
- Dealing with technical enquiries
3PL production, warehousing, logistics providers and customs agents/brokers
- Monitoring agreed delivery metrics through KPI’s.
- Support annual audit on the 3PL
- Operate regular Service Review Calls
- Point of contact for the 3PL
The role will require the following qualities:
- Commercially astute, analytically strong strategic thinker with the ability to the challenge business units in relation to solid compliance
- Ability to generate and sustain great working relationships and networks across the organisation
- Courage to maintain focus and integrity in tough situations
- Excellent communication and influencing skills that facilitate effective networking and relationship building
- A self-starter comfortable operating independently
- Ability and commitment to develop and coach others
- Comfort in managing key stakeholders across multiple functional areas (e.g. Global Tax, Global Data, Global Supply, Procurement, In-Market Companies, Corporate Relations, Customer Service Teams, Brand Technical Centres, etc.)
Purpose of Role
Provide proactive, high quality specialist global trade & excise governance support to the Regional Head of Global Trade to ensure the effective management of Diageo's global trade affairs within the (X) Region. Apply and execute Global PCSL strategies and policies to manage and mitigate key risks. Lead the local in market relationship with Customs and Excise and Customs Brokers.
Top 3-5 Accountabilities
- Implement global PCSL strategies, policies, guidelines and standards for customs & excise management in Region
- Provide specialist regional support to the Head of Regional Trade Compliance, and other functions for all customs and excise issues
- Participate in global trade projects to deliver shareholder value/manage potential exposures
- Proactively support the delivery of the Global Trade and PCSL objectives aiming to standardise and simplify processes and procedures
- Keep up to date with customs and excise regulatory changes and best practice; identify risks and opportunities and recommend actions
- Ensure timely resolution of queries from tax authorities, markets or DEO
- Ensure there are the correct licences, approvals in place for any operational changes
- Good experience and working knowledge of customs and excise processes and procedures in a global multinational company
- Experience in dealing with enquiries and audits from customs and excise authorities
- Experience in providing domestic and cross border technical advice
- Effective project management and implementation skills
- Good team working and communication skills across diverse cultures
- At least 5 years customs and/ or excise experience with a multinational or customs & excise authority
- Written and verbal communication in English is a must
Benefits of working here
Celebrating our inclusive and diverse culture is core to Diageo’s purpose of “celebrating life every day everywhere”. This purpose is, in itself, inclusive in nature, as it values everybody irrespective of background, disability, religion, gender identity, sexuality or ethnicity.
We know that for our business to thrive and for Diageo to realize its ambition, we depend on having diverse talent with a range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities in each of the 180 countries in which we operate and to reflect our broad consumer base. We view diversity as one of the key enablers that helps our business to grow and our values, purpose and standards set the conditions for us to respect the unique contribution each person brings.
Flexibility is key to success in our business and many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, compressed hours, flexible location. Please talk to us about what flexibility means to you and don’t let anything stop you from applying.
- Unique Family Leave opportunity
- We work without border - you will work with people from all over the world
- You will deal with world class brand portfolio
- Wide variety of thematic events, afterwork activities organized by employee communities
- Product Allowance to purchase company products from the staff shop
- We won the Fittest Workplace Award, of course we have a Gym
- Urban legend is true, we do have a Rooftop Bar
Please click 'Apply' to submit your application