Sr. Director - DevOps Platform Engineering, Open to flexible working
Are you looking for an opportunity to partner with key business partners and stakeholders to embed the data disclosure process and influence the data integrity strategies and drive new ways of working? If so, this is the role for you.
The Sr. Director - DevOps Platform Engineering will be responsible for leading the team that delivers DevOps & RPA platform products and capabilities to the enterprise. The role has a deep software engineering focus and is accountable for providing a world class, enterprise ready competitively differentiating infrastructure technology capability for GSK.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- This role will lead a team of ~15 employees plus will manage a supplier services budget and has a truly global reach providing engineering capability to every part of the consumer technology organisation.
- The DevOps Platform Engineering Lead should be familiar with all the technology in their scope of control and your hands-on capability will ensure that you can lead from a position of technical authority. DevOps Delivery Automation tools and techniques will be second nature to you and your ability to efficiently create and deliver enterprise scale identity, access management and endpoint security technology will be a differentiator for you.
- You will build the capability for technology teams to adopt edge-of-curve levels of automation and expect to deliver direct business value at high frequency. You will naturally & seamlessly partner with infrastructure, security and product teams to maximise the value delivered by the engineering products & services delivered within your scope.
- Sets out DevOps Platform strategy and roadmap in line with wider Business & IT strategy to facilitate effective software deployment across the organisation
- Oversees design and implementation of processes, practices and tools enabling CI/CD, maximising the speed and quality of software delivery and minimising unit costs across digital platforms
- Manages build automation, release, deployment, and configuration activities of the DevOps platform; setting appropriate milestones & KPIs and working within an Agile framework
- Builds, recruits, leads and manages team of DevOps Platform Engineers ensuring they have the correct skill sets and providing professional growth
- Partners with relevant IT leadership stakeholders (e.g. Infrastructure Platform Lead) to create and maintain a roadmap and project schedule, setting both short- and long-term goals and ensuring delivery against technical roadmap while delivering regular updates to stakeholders
- Works closely with technical staff (including Software Engineers, QA, Site Reliability Engineers, Systems Engineers) to understand requirements and prototype, architect, implement, operate and update DevOps solutions accordingly
- Manages tool and vendor selection across development automation activities to ensure that tooling is fit for purpose for an enterprise-grade software deployment automation & DevOps platform
- Owns, leads and drives systems engineering, software delivery automation and CI/CD practices across all digital platforms
- Ensures availability, scalability, maintainability, performance, and monitoring of systems for operations
- Drives efficient self-service , incl. automation of provisioning and maintaining CI/CD environments, integration/QA testing, security & configuration
- Evangelises DevOps across the organisation and provides leadership to community of DevOps and Platform Engineers across the technical organisation , supporting with best practice, recruitment, development and other community activities
- Facilitates interactions between DevOps Platform team and wider technical organisation to develop best practice and encourage knowledge- & tool-sharing
- Follows industry trends and developments to better meet wider business & IT goals and ensure that the DevOps platform ecosystem is at the cutting edge of enterprise-grade software development automation systems
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, other relevant discipline or equivalent practical experience.
- 8+ years of programming and / or platform & systems development
- 5+ years of DevOps platform management experience
- 5+ years of managing technical teams with a strong track record of project delivery
- Expertise with programming languages (e.g. Java, PHP), database technologies (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL) and release & configuration management tools (e.g. Chef, Puppet)
- Deep understanding of modern DevOps platform technologies incl. infrastructure-as-code and containers
- Extensive experience with agile methodologies
- Extensive experience working in a cloud native environment
- Strong business, leadership and communication skills as well as sufficient experience to understand: what is possible given current technology, how trends will affect the business in the future
- Strong leadership capabilities , having the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse set of customers or partners
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills , and the ability to build strong and effective cross-functional relationships
- Effective team management and supports others to grow and develop
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to lead cross-functional projects; capable of producing results within unstructured and dynamic environments
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk, governance and control, managing ambiguity and paradox.
- Managing individual performance.
- Creating a performance culture and driving results, prioritisation, execution, delivering performance.
- Setting strategic direction and leading on-going organisational transformation.
- Building a resilient organisation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration in service of common goals, engaging the organisation and building trusted external networks for mutual benefit.
- Managing P&L and capital allocation.
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.