Policy Adviser - Open to flexible working and job share
When meeting us, you’ll quickly find out we are united in our belief that the best thing about the ABI is the people.
We’re hugely proud 100% of colleagues feel the ABI care about their health and wellbeing and 99% feel colleagues within their team respect each other. If that sounds like your kind of culture, read on to find out how you can join us.
We are recruiting a Policy Adviser to join our Long-Term Savings Policy team. In this role, you’ll work to help people understand the value of their pension and other long-term savings products and lead policy work to support this.
Please note this is full time role but we are open to applications from those who wish to work on a flexible and/or job share basis. We welcome applicants who are new to insurance – as well as those who are experts!
What’s the job?
- Formulate and communicate persuasive policy initiatives, supported by robust evidence, that address legislative and regulatory concerns and enhance the reputation of the industry.
- Work with your team on Retirement & Savings Policy, which covers issues including digital developments in long term savings, transfers of investments and pensions, Environment, Social and Governance issues, Social Care and consolidation of defined benefit schemes.
- Build effective relationships with people at all levels in member firms based on a strong understanding of their commercial environment and the impact of regulation and legislation.
- Develop influential relationships with key industry stakeholders including the Department of Work and Pensions, HM Treasury, Financial Conduct Authority, The Pensions Regulator and trade and consumer bodies.
- Provide support to ABI committees and working groups, from Board Committees looking at policy strategy for long term savings, to technical groups discussing the detail of a policy or project.
- Collaborate with colleagues across the Policy Directorate and other parts of the ABI to enhance each other’s workstreams and projects.
The role is primarily based in London, however. Due to COVID-19, colleagues are mainly working from home.
What skills do you need?
- Ability to influence and persuade a variety of senior people
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to digest complex information quickly and make it engaging and accessible for others.
- Excellent communication skills and enthusiasm for building and managing effective and positive relationships
- Attention to detail and the capacity to understand technical regulatory issues and industry developments.
- Effective presentation skills and a confidence to present to a variety of audiences and media.
Throughout the interview and assessment process, we will be looking for you to demonstrate the ABI’s values; We are Brave; We take Ownership; We are Appreciative; We are Human and We are Curious.
Where can this role take you?
Wherever possible, we support our staff to develop their careers internally. The next natural step for you in this role would be a Senior Policy Adviser – but this is flexible.
With a supportive environment and the fantastic exposure you get to lots of people in the industry and the knowledge you’ll build on a range of regulatory and policy issues, the ABI is a great place to continue your career.
What training and benefits are offered?
On your first day you’ll be met by our HR team for a full company induction. You’ll then have inductions to get you up to speed with anything from Events to how our finances work, plus one to ones with relevant colleagues. Everyone goes on an introduction to insurance course and will receive plenty of on the job training. We host various Staff Learning Events throughout the year and you will be able to attend relevant ABI and industry events.
Additional training will be tailored to your own personal needs and aspirations and we have a range of courses as part of our Learning and Development offering.
For further information and to submit your application please click 'Apply'.
The deadline for applications is 11:59 on 5 May 2021.
The Association of British Insurers is the voice of the UK’s world-leading insurance and long-term savings industry. A productive and inclusive sector, our industry supports towns and cities across Britain in building back a balanced and innovative economy, employing over 300,000 individuals in high-skilled, lifelong careers, two-thirds of which are outside of London.
The UK insurance industry manages investments of over £1.7 trillion, pays nearly £12bn in taxes to the Government and supports communities across the UK by enabling trade, risk-taking, investment and innovation. We are also a global success story, the largest in Europe and the fourth largest in the world.
The ABI represents over 200 member companies, including most household names and specialist providers, giving peace of mind to customers across the UK.