Director Discovery Medicine, Dermatology, Open to flexible working
Can you imagine yourself working in a high performing translational medicine group, harnessing the power of genetics to shepherd the next generation of medicines to address unmet medical need in dermatology across the globe while acting an internal dermatology expert within GSK?
The Discovery Medicine (DM) group within the Clinical Pharmacology and Experimental Medicine (CPEM) unit in the Research organization at GSK is a dynamic and collegiate group comprised of physicians and scientists striving to deliver these medicines.
As part of this group, the Director Discovery Medicine (Dermatology) is recognised internally and external to GSK as a leader in Drug Discovery, Development and Translational Medicine and/or as an expert in Dermatology and an advocate for that disease area.
The Discovery Medicine Physician Director is responsible for rigorous assessment of clinical tractability and therapeutic potential to inform the most appropriate development strategy for new targets. In addition, they are accountable for strategic translational planning and the design of early clinical studies to provide confidence to invest in Phase 2 clinical proof of concept studies.
You will be highly experienced in drug development or translational medicine. You will be expected to work across multiple Discovery Medicine projects, demonstrating independent accountability for your own projects. Your focus will be on Dermatology, however you may be expected to work across other therapeutic areas.
You will set long term scientific strategy and be capable of executing this strategy based on your own expertise and that gained from your network.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following:
You will play a leadership role in
- medical governance initiatives in R&D (e.g. safety panel or governance board)
- discovery/development policy, processes or guidelines affecting the pharmaceutical industry
- training networks in/outside of GSK
- business development activities representing Discovery Medicine
- mentoring and coaching other members of Discovery Medicine
- applying extensive knowledge of clinical development to more than one research unit/disease area
- building an external network with academia/pharma, bringing expertise back to GSK
- anticipating, communicating and acting on trends/events outside GSK that affect our business direction
- utilising command of the drug discovery and development process to influence a culture of continuous improvement
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- DO , MD , or equivalent physician degree +/- advanced degree (PhD preferred or a demonstrated research publication record), with significant clinical knowledge in Dermatology, as evidenced by fellowship training or prior industry experience.
- Board eligible if not board certified
- In-depth experience in lab-based research or translational medicine.
- Experience of setting and executing scientific strategy, whilst being mindful of overall company goals
- Track record in taking assets from lead optimisation to candidate selection
- Understanding and knowledge of early development, e.g. DMPK, biomarkers, etc.
- Experience in working with relevant regulatory bodies and professionals in early stage discovery and development
- Excellent presentation, influencing and media skills for both internal and external audiences.
- Ability to lead and contribute to a global cross-functional team of senior leaders
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Prior experience in early drug development (Research & Development) would be preferred
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
Leadership Capability - demonstrated ability to lead and inspire teams and develop and mentor individuals and allocate resource strategically and according to the portfolio priorities.
Strategic Thinking - maintains competitive advantage by carefully considering the issues and competing priorities within a situation, program or portfolio and then developing a strategy that includes the strategic application of available principles, tools and systems.
Business Acumen - Understands the implications of decisions related to human, financial, material and information resources, from a business perspective and uses this knowledge to plan, implement and manage clinical research within R&D.
Project Management - Demonstrates the discipline of risk-based planning, organising and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives in accordance with defined quality and time-based metrics.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.