Device Engineering and Technology Lead, Open to flexible working
GSK have a challenging and inspiring mission: to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
In the heart of rural Teesdale, the GSK site at Barnard Castle is a key member of the Pharma Supply Chain (PSC) organisation producing some of the world's leading dermatological, sterile and inhaled medicines for a wide range of diseases.
GSK Barnard Castle is a key New Product Introduction site for world-first Biopharmaceutical products supplied in auto-injector pen devices.
Are you ready to lead a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, technologists and scientists to support the development of the next generation of drug delivery technologies to support our existing commercial products and our exciting new product portfolio?
Do you want to contribute to a world class pharmaceutical manufacturing facility committed to improving the quality of life for millions of people across the world?
If the answer is yes, and you are a Technical leader who wants to make a difference, then we have a great new opportunity for a Device Engineer and Technology Lead in the New Product Introduction and Process Technology team at our key manufacturing site at Barnard Castle in the UK.
You'll deliver the science and engineering to ensure our manufacturing processes and technologies for new and existing delivery devices are the best they can be to meet the needs of our patients. You will provide the strategic direction and technical and operational support to ensure that site device goals and objectives are achieved. You will manage the team owning the body of manufacturing process knowledge, create the instruction set that ensures manufacturing operations stay aligned with the registered process. Your team will lead technology transfers, implement control strategies, provide technical process support throughout the product lifecycle, while implementing new products and new modalities for commercial products within the GSK Pharma Supply Chain.
On offer to you are exciting technical and intellectual challenges and the opportunity to develop your leadership and technical capabilities whilst making a difference to the lives of millions of patients within a world leading global healthcare company.
The opportunity here allows you to impact a significant element of GSK's manufacturing, crafting and implementing far reaching strategies and future-proofing the business. You'll build a fantastic network across technical, engineering, quality and third parties, and capitalise on this to deliver results through both formal leadership and highly effective matrix management and influencing.
This position offers a comprehensive reward package including competitive base salary and potential signing-on bonus also. In addition, for the right candidate, we have an opportunity to provide financial assistance with relocation if required. Hayley to provide confirmation, or otherwise, on the inclusion of this.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leading the Device team, ensuring technical capabilities are maintained.
- Ensuring effective and efficient, fit for purpose capability and processes are in place to support the development of new platforms, continuous improvement of our existing platforms, adoption of new technologies and platform lifecycle management in conjunction with our 3rd party supply base partners.
- Establishing and leading a defined performance management structure to drive successful improvement project execution as well as product and technology lifecycle management.
- Partnering with R&D to define first intent platforms that support acceleration and intensification of the biopharmaceutical portfolio for both parenteral device and biopharma cold chain transportation.
- Supporting and driving rapid resolution of device technical issues in support of sites or 3rd party partners; including responding to feedback from patients using our devices to improve their experience.
- Maintaining an active technical talent management and succession programme for your team.
- Working with Global and Regional / Local Regulatory to understand, translate and apply appropriate regulations, being conversant with statutory obligations and GSK procedures for all regulatory requirements in device areas; ensure GSK corporate governance is upheld.
We are looking for a true leader for this position - not only to lead a large team, but also to build a trusting and engaged network which enables delivery of a wide variety of sophisticated projects involving many cooperating, multi-functional parties. As such, we need someone who is very credible in this space, and able to clearly communicate their knowledge and expertise at an audience-appropriate level. You will influence internally and externally, using strong communication skills to build partnerships at all levels of the business, and with some external teams. You will need really strong projects leadership skills, and must be comfortable working with a variety of different functions within and outside of GSK.
Required Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelors/Honours degree, or equivalent, in an appropriate scientific or engineering discipline
- Proven experience in a technical subject area related to devices
- In depth knowledge of scale-up, technical transfer and process change
- Hands on experience of multiple drug product dosage forms, and multiple devices and packaging types
- Conversant with GMP and US/EU/ROW Regulations
- Extensive experience in troubleshooting, RCA, CAPA, etc.
- Track record of success in a management or leadership role
Preferred Qualifications and experience:
- Additional qualifications/education beneficial
- Experience leading a large multifunctional team
- Prior experience in a global change or strategy role
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.