Finance Controller and Partner - Legal Reserves, Open to flexible working
4 days left
- Contract Type
- Contract - interim/fixed term
12 month secondment/temporary assignment
An opportunity has arisen to provide Maternity Leave cover for this unique Finance role for a period of 12 months. The role is part of the GSF Finance Legal & GEC team, a small and diverse team of professionals providing finance support to the Legal and Global Ethics & Compliance CET members and their leadership teams. This is a technical, high profile role requiring an experienced Grade 6 finance professional to manage GSK's global Legal Reserves process. The role reports to the Finance Director, Legal and GEC and will involve direct contact with the CFO, Group Financial Controller, General Counsel, SVP Global Litigation and other senior Legal and Finance leaders in GSK. The Legal Reserves process involves a high degree of judgement and sensitivity, and for this reason the Legal Reserves are regarded as a key audit area of focus by our external auditors, Deloitte.
The role requires the incumbent to work at a detailed level supporting technical accounting processes, and to also partner closely with senior Finance and Legal stakeholders to challenge legal reserve proposals, provide guidance and recommendations, and to communicate key outcomes to all stakeholders in a succinct manner. Over the next 12 months this role will also have responsibility for supporting separation activities related to the Legal Reserves process, including managing a temporary resource to support these requirements.
Success in the role requires an ability to develop through change, lead diverse teams, build strong relationships with senior stakeholders, challenge existing ways of working, and apply professional judgement and finance expertise to areas of interpretation. The successful candidate will have a unique development opportunity through covering this role over a critical period of change for GSK.
- Review of month-end activities performed by Controlling Specialist and sign off on balance sheet provisions on a monthly basis
- Analysis of legal costs posted to Central Legal Reserves markets.
- Co-ordination and review of allocation of legal reserves across GSK legal entities and provision of information for statutory reporting. Work with Global Tax to coordinate appropriate allocation of reserves to entities (reallocations performed bi-annually).
- Facilitation of the quarterly Legal Reserves forecasting process including collection
- of data, review and challenge of assumptions, investigation of variances and preparation for review meetings with various senior stakeholders across Segments (Finance & Legal), Corporate and CET.
- Prepare quarterly judgements for inclusion in board reports and Audit & Risk Committee reports.
Managing Remote Teams:
- Management of Controlling Specialist in Poznan and oversight of Genpact service delivery.
- Responsible and accountable for activities required to support separation relevant to the Legal Reserves process, including management and oversight of dedicated resource working on separation activities.
- Creation, maintenance and review of process notes and other key documentation to support the end to end Legal Reserves process
Statutory / Auditors / SOX Requirements:
- Key point of contact for the Deloitte auditors throughout the quarterly and annual cycles, including keeping them informed of significant movements in reserves, review of reserves forecasts and Audit and Risk Committee papers, and supporting their testing procedures and information requests.
- Execution and monitoring of key controls in the legal reserves process, including SOX controls, and retention of appropriate evidence for all controls
- Contribute to relevant Annual Report and Statutory Accounts note disclosures where required.
- Review and monitoring of the completion of the annual Statutory Accounts process.
- Key contact for Legal Reserves for GSK business leaders in Legal and Finance, including Dispute Resolution and Prevention team, Legal senior attorneys, LOC and Regional Legal Directors & Finance Directors.
- Continuous assessment and improvement of the financial processes that support the Legal Reserve stakeholders and the wider Legal and Legal Finance functions.
- Setting direction and providing accounting guidance and advice on financial policies and finance related queries raised regarding Legal Reserves.
- Provision of ad-hoc analytics and support for investigations, legal cost reporting and comparison, and business initiatives such as benchmarking exercises.
- Preparation and submission of Plan/Forecast for the Legal Reserves process, including engagement and communication with impacted stakeholders to secure appropriate sign off.
- As well as the responsibilities noted above, throughout 2021-2022, this role plays a key part in the execution of the separation of the CH business and the formation of 'New GSK' in relation to the Legal Reserves process.
- Bachelor/ Master / Professional qualification (e.g., ACCA, ACA, CIMA, CPA, MBA, or local equivalent)
- Demonstrable finance experience in a senior role, including demonstrable Finance Partnering experience
- Ability to build strong customer relationships and communicate effectively with senior stakeholders, including non-Finance stakeholders
- Understanding of systems and processes as they affect the financial results - Bison, CERPs, JDE (or equivalent)
- Monthly management actuals reporting, forecasting and budgeting experience
- Numeracy, accuracy, excellent attention to detail and strong analytical skills
- Excellent digital literacy including Excel, Word, PowerPoint
Experience within the below is advantageous but not essential:
- Financial control and compliance
- Process mapping and process improvement implementation
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.