Process Engineering Team Lead, Open to flexible working
Are you an experienced Project Engineer who is looking for an opportunity to lead people as well as leading science?
GSK have a role of Process Engineer Team Leader/Scientific Leader to join them on a full-time permanent basis at their Stevenage site.
We are seeking a motivated team leader with strong technical background and communication skills to join the process engineering department in our Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) Chemical Development function at our flagship R&D site at Stevenage. Chemical Development supports our small molecule portfolio in Pharma R&D and develops the manufacturing processes that turn those molecules into medicines.
This is a fantastic opportunity to utilise your technical and people leadership skills, as well as develop yourself as a strong inclusive leader, within a world leading pharmaceutical company. In this highly technical, dynamic and impactful role, you will work in the R&D laboratories alongside synthetic chemists and material scientists to generate process understanding that underpins the successful scale-up and commercial industrialisation of our future manufacturing processes.
The Process Engineer Team Leader (called a Scientific Leader within the company) provides leadership of science and departmental objectives as part of the Drug Substance Engineering Leadership Team. You will lead a team of engineers and, using your own technical expertise, will coordinate the development and deployment of state-of-the-art processes and technologies to enable the delivery of GSK's medicines. Based on experience, the job might include project technical leadership.
Working at GSK offers opportunity to broaden your experience across R&D and our medicine supply chain. Additionally, GSK is a Gold Corporate Partner of the IChemE, with its own Accredited Company Training Scheme, giving you the opportunity to develop towards Chartered Engineer status.
This is a predominantly site-based role where most laboratory experimentation occurs; however, occasional national and international travel might be required to support project delivery.
- Work with leadership team to ensure staff are appropriately skilled and trained to deliver departmental objectives as well as they receive all required training and maintain training records
- Maintain a high level of relevant scientific expertise and visibility aligned to business requirements for team and self, expand the scientific capabilities of the department, and serve as a departmental and enterprise scientific resource for GSK.
- Proactively implement safe working practices for self and others by participating (or facilitating participation) in safety related activities
- Ensure the delivery of appropriate cGMP compliance on projects, equipment and facilities.
- Ensure that required project documentation is prepared, reviewed and/or maintained as required by SOPs and Policies.
For projects within the team:
- Provide technical oversight and mentorship as team members' experience requires.
- Identify resource needs for projects, working within budget expectations, and also identify risks to project needs due to budget or resource constraints.
- Ensure that technical results meet quality, business and regulatory expectations and are based on scientific excellence, creativity and innovation.
- Ensure appropriate scientific review is in place throughout development and prior to governance decisions. Support the preparation and delivery of relevant technical packages ahead of governance meetings presentations.
Closing Date for Applications: Thursday 6th May 2021
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
- A postgraduate qualification (MSc/PhD) in chemical/process engineering or related subject area.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Proven leadership skills
- Experience in pharmaceutical development, manufacturing and/or process scale-up.
- Good time management and team-working skills.
- Experience in the application of process simulation/modelling techniques (applying kinetics and thermodynamics to unit operations using tools such as MATLAB, DynoChem, gPROMS, Aspen or chemometric analysis).
- A detailed understanding of unit operations (such as reaction, extraction, distillation, filtration and drying) employed in the manufacture of API.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best. When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing. Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.