Study Delivery Lead (SDL) Team Director Synthetic Lethality & Cancer Epigenetics - Flexible working
Global Clinical Operations is transforming to fulfil our vision to "Be the best performing and trusted Global Clinical Operations organization". Our mission is to "Accelerate the pipeline through innovative, efficient and expeditious delivery of high-quality data".
To drive upper quartile performance and support Rx Delivery, the Director of SDLs will lead a team of study delivery leads who are the SAPs (Single Accountable People) and set the delivery strategy for Rx studies. This manager role will support this team and provide appropriate line management support and manage resources within and across therapy areas (Oncology, Respiratory & Specialty; and Immuno-Inflammation & Fibrosis. This role will also be accountable to help grow capabilities and drive process improvements and efficiencies in ways of working. The manager will liase with other SDL managers and report into the Therapy Area SDL Director. This role will manage a team approximately 12 - 15 Study Delivery Leads.
Job purpose and key responsibilities:
- Manage and lead a team of Study Delivery Leads (SDLs) within the structure of Rx Global Clinical Delivery Management.
- Ensure appropriate level of qualified and trained resources to support study delivery and the delivery of Human Subject Research studies within deadlines, budgets and quality, according to ICH/GCP, company control documents and regulatory requirements.
- Responsible for quality practices, management monitoring, control documents development, improvement support and training related to Study Delivery roles.
- Recruit, retain, lead and develop a team of SDLs, supporting study delivery.
- Lead and direct staff by providing company vision and strategy, setting clear objectives, expectations and feedback on performance, and opportunities for development, coach and keep staff motivated during heavy workload and changing priorities.
- Decide upon appropriate allocation of SDLs to clinical projects/studies to reflect business and development needs in collaboration with Asset Leads (AL), SDL Director and/or TA Head.
- Establish SDL performance measurement, track performance and identify corrective actions.
- Provide leadership, direction and vision for a team of up to 15 SDLs.
- Contribute to SDL capability building by supporting onboarding and community forums.
- Guarantee adequate oversight of the quality of clinical studies. Responsible to set and implement management monitoring of Study Delivery roles related processes.
- Ensure that a level of Quality Control (QC) is embedded in SDLs day to day activities.
- Ensure Harmonization of practice at study level for SDL, to ensure consistency, high quality and efficiency.
- Drive the implementation of new practices and best practice sharing.
Resource Allocation and budget:
- Define and analyze resource requirements as per study projections and business needs in collaboration with Asset Leads (AL), SDL Director and/or TA Head as well as Integrated Resource Management (IRM) output.
- Ensure resource prioritization according to Business priorities - work hand in hand with the Asset Leads (AL), SDL Director and/or TA Head.
- Support SDL Director and TA Head with budget associated to SDLs.
- Interface with Functional Service providers for study delivery activities.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor's degree in a science related field
- Experience in managing clinical operations.
- Experience with People Management and management of resources from different sources in different locations (internal, external, functional service providers).
- Experience working with functional service providers.
- Experience managing and leading teams across geographical boundaries; experience leading by example and promoting collaboration, effective communication and leadership in others - experience providing constructive feedback that is balanced, with suggestions for areas for improvement.
- Experience in effective people management in global and remote environment (more than 10 staff members) - experience demonstrating appropriate use of delegation, empowerment.
- Experience setting and managing priorities, resources, performance targets and project initiatives in a global environment.
- Experience in international settings, building alliances, and influencing across national and cultural boundaries.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Advanced Degree (MS, PhD, MD)
- Given the scope of responsibility associated with the position and the interactions with multiple stakeholders, a strong business profile, strong communication skills is preferred
- Strong knowledge of ICH/GCP and Regulatory requirements driving clinical development.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of clinical operations and activities associated to study delivery.
- Knowledge of Industry and CRO world.
- Excellent customer orientation, ability to work beyond silos with a strong service provider mindset.
- Effective at problem solving and conflict resolution.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills including strong ability to network and negotiate at all levels in the organization.
- Excellent listening and coaching skills
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.