Computational Cytometry Data Scientist, Open to flexible working
GlaxoSmithKline is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to support our mission to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
The successful candidate will be a lead data scientist as the first line of accountability to architect and deliver computational solutions for integrated data analysis for flow/imaging cytometry for Non-Clinical Safety Department, with a special focus on safety biomarkers.
The role will initially be based at our Ware R&D site but the business unit will move to our Stevenage site in the second half 2022.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design and develop computational methods to support multiplexed cytometry modalities, including but not limited to flow cytometry, imaging flow cytometry, multiplexed imaging mass cytometry, with a special focus on non-clinical safety and biomarkers.
- Be single point of accountability for animal flow cytometry data for the department related to establishment and maintenance of end-2-end data workflow pipeline and data analyses for multiple species with customized study designs.
- Execute and optimize analytic algorithms and data flow at scale, on world-class high-performance computing infrastructure.
- Identify and implement state-of-the-art data mining methodologies and machine learning algorithms. Be accountable for QC and QA of the methods of choice.
- Key communicator to deliver the understandability and reliability of results produced by data science team to biological stakeholder groups, such as investigative safety, immunotoxicology, genetic toxicology and integrated biology and platform sciences.
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with the biological scientists generating data, contribute to the experimental design based on the objectives set for the study, and support customized data visualization and analyses solutions.
- Translate informatics solutions into business-oriented biomedical understanding, to ultimately support decision-making endpoints in drug discovery and development processes.
- Be the key liaison with internal and external partners, contribute and distil data science knowledge across the GSK R&D data science communities and expertise networks.
Closing Date for Applications: 5th May 2021 (COB)
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD in Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, computational biology, system biology, integrative multi-omics, computer science, machine learning, or similar disciplines.
- Demonstrated experience in Data Science, Cytometry, Machine Learning, System Biology, Network Analysis, Computational Biology, or related fields.
- Proficient in software tools used in cytometry research (FlowJo, Cytobank etc.) and familiar with at least one of the common programming languages (Python, MATLAB, R etc.).
- Must demonstrate outstanding personal initiative, communication skills, and the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Extensive industrial experience or post-doc roles specialising in system biology, computer science, machine learning, bioinformatics, big data analytics.
- Qualified track records in bioinformatic modelling.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.