Senior Software Engineer, Open to flexible working
Do more, feel better, live longer. GlaxoSmithKline's motto, what does that mean to you? We're an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We're a team of passionate thinkers and makers, 25 strong and 2 years old at the time of writing this. We have an office based out of Kings Cross, but have always operated in a hybrid model, with some members of the team working fully-remote. We're embarking on a journey of discovery within the pharmaceutical and healthcare industry. There are problems a plenty and we need passionate, low ego, eager to learn people to make meaningful technology with us.
Who we're looking for...
You're a proven expert in backend development that has a love of learning new technologies. You have a track record of producing high-quality web applications that put the customer at the forefront of development.
We've recently taken ownership of GSK's B2B e-commerce solution for vaccines, a website that allows pharmacies and hospitals to order drugs online. We are getting started on a project to revamp the e-commerce platform, re-building the site on a modern tech-stack, hosted on Google Cloud Platform. We are looking for someone who can drive this project forwards, developing a solution that will allow our team to run experiments on the site at pace. Your goal will be to create a solution that is straightforward for customer service teams to operate, and easy to rollout into new markets.
You have excellent interpersonal skills/EQ, you are a low ego learner and teacher. You pride yourself on your ability to collaborate closely with the whole team, not just Engineering.
What you'll be doing...
- You'll report to the Director of Engineering.
- You'll play a big role in steering the direction of tech within our team.
- You'll be working up and down the e-commerce tech-stack, making changes to both frontend and backend systems.
- You'll collaborate with your squad(s) of multidisciplinary, passionate people.
- You'll closely collaborate with user researchers, designers, product managers, and engineers to achieve the squad's OKRs.
- You'll delight in experimentation, testing your ideas with users, and iterating towards the best solution.
- You're an empathetic human and have a low ego. In pharma and healthcare, you must be resilient to the challenges faced in this space, this is ingrained in our culture.
What you've accomplished recently...
- You've previously worked on modernising a sites tech-stack, taming the legacy code and developing it into a project to be proud of.
- You'll have mentored junior team members, helping to elevate their tech skills.
- Overall, you care deeply about your customers, both internal and external and have built meaningful and lasting relationships.
Our tech stack
- The legacy system we're moving away from is a Java application built on SAP Commerce.
- Our new front-end application is a greenfield NextJs application built in Typescript and hosted on Google Cloud.
- Our new backend system is greenfield, built in Typescript and Go and leverages cloud-native infrastructure on Google Cloud.
- We're fans of continuous deployment, fully automated testing (including automated security and compliance testing), infrastructure-as-code and observability. We've written a few posts about our work in this space (our cloud platform, how we approach continuous compliance, automating responses to security events).
Interested in Joining the Team?
Please apply via our online portal providing your CV and Cover Letter.
Please ensure you apply before the 9th May 2021 to ensure you're in the running!
(Please take a personal copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available online post closure of the advert)
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.