Sr Clinical Development Director, Hepatology, Open to flexible working
As the Sr. Clinical Development Director - Hepatology, you will be responsible for working with the Vice President and other senior leaders in Hepatology/Gastroenterology to advance our clinical programs in hepatitis B, cholestatic liver disease and/or non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). You may be provided the opportunity to lead trials within a clinical program and/or serve as the clinical development leader (CDL) for an entire program depending on programmatic needs. You will also collaborate with our research/early development colleagues to develop clinical development plans (CDPs) for assets in these disease areas.
- Strategic Leadership: Integrating scientific rationale, regulatory requirements, product development plan and commercial goals to optimize clinical study designs aligned with the Integrated evidence plan, and CDP
- Generating the data and evidence required to determine a medicine's potential efficacy, safety profile, key areas of product differentiation and value to patient in the shortest possible timeframe
- Establishing expeditious clinical development timelines, incorporating key decision points and Go/No Go criteria for the CDP
- Developing and maintaining inclusive relationships with program counterparts in Commercial, Research, Regulatory, Clinical Operations and Statistics
- Contributing to and partnering on the development of strategic initiatives, specific Business Development activities and various organizational initiatives in Clinical Development
- Playing an active & supportive role in the development of Clinical Sciences staff via coaching and mentoring and direct line management of up to four direct reports.
Scientific Leadership, Direction and Strategy:
- Employs visioning and strategic thinking to provide expert oversight of disease/therapeutic area specific strategy for a drug(s) or program(s). Leads selected clinical development projects for products/franchise of compounds
- Serves as a clinical point of contact for senior management and senior level matrix teams, both internally and externally for an asset(s) in development
- Guide, influence and positively interface with a diverse range of scientific external experts (e.g. regulators, payors, clinical research organizations, consultants, investigators) in order to deliver integrated clinical development strategy, which align to the business strategy and achieves mutual goals related to patient need
- Integrates inputs from across disciplines (scientific, clinical commercial, regulatory) to contribute to the Medicine Profile. Accountable for the clinical components of the Medicine Profile.
- Accountable for risk/benefit of the asset. Actively manage and make decisions which balance risk/benefit at the project level with clear understanding of impact on study/project indication approvals; takes action to mitigate risk where appropriate
- Assesses and predicts when therapies designed for one patient population/indication can be used in alternative scenarios to broaden potential patient benefit
- Anticipates problems and proactively seeks input from other teams' members/functional lines within R&D. Uses scientific/operational expertise to solve study and/or project related problems
- Accountable for the evaluation of clinical study/program probability of technical success (PTS)
Study & Program Design and Evidence Generation:
- Drives the end to end integrated clinical development strategy that is appropriately resourced to achieve regulatory approvals, reimbursable medicines, and successful lifecycle management
- Leads clinical development discussions at regulatory interactions and clinical components of the submissions (i.e. IND, NDA, BLA, MAA) including briefing documents, presentations, addressing questions and responses
- Provides effective expertise, support & oversight of evidence generation activities to assure patient safety and study delivery
- Delivers value and access insights to inform medical strategy, expand market access and to address unmet patient need
Creating Innovative Scientific and Technical Solutions
- Overcomes obstacles by experimenting with and adopting new ways of working including digital tools and technology
- Champions implementation of innovative methods and processes within clinical development and gains stakeholder support; encourages others to think differently and come up with business solutions
- MD, PhD and/or PharmD degree
- Extensive clinical training and/or applicable clinical research experience; understanding of clinical development planning and running clinical trial from concept study idea to publication.
- Demonstrated experience managing complex projects and working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders regarding new strategies to ensure consistent communication
- Significant years of experience managing line and matrix teams with a strong reputation of inspiring and motivating high performance
- Thorough understanding of clinical research methodology and biostatistics principles, to facilitate innovative and efficient clinical trial design, and clinical development plans with clear data-driven decision rules
- Extensive experience in GI & Hepatology clinical drug development with an understanding of the disease, the underlying biology and potential therapeutic targets as well as current and future potential treatment options
- Medical degree with clinical and/or clinical development experience in hepatitis B
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
Closing date for applications: 14th May 2021
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.