Analyst, Corporate Development, Open to flexible working
The Global Corporate Development team, reporting to the VP & Head of Corporate Development, comprises ~10 professional staff based in London/ Philadelphia plus administrative support. The team is part of the wider Global Corporate Development group that reports to the Chief Strategy Officer.
The Corporate Development team manages a fast moving portfolio of strategic projects on behalf of the SVP Global Corporate Development, the Chief Strategy Officer and other CET members. These strategic projects mostly relate to acquisition or sale of companies or brands by GSK and range in value from a few £'m to in excess of £1bn. Each project is unique but all are highly confidential as they have the potential to impact directly the share price of GSK and other companies.
As the Finance Analyst, Corporate Development you will be responsible for...
Supporting Corporate Development projects (eventually with the prospect of leading smaller deals).
This is a high profile role, which will require close interaction with CET members, external advisers and other senior management. It requires strong financial and evaluation skills together with a broad understanding of the company's business and the industry in which it operates. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, an innovative and "self starter" approach, an ability to deliver high quality product to tight deadlines and total flexibility of response to changing business requirements are critical to success in this role. Corporate transaction or equity markets experience would be an advantage although not critical.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- The Finance Analyst will be required to act as a business partner to many and varied groups from all divisions of GSK and will liaise directly with senior representatives from these groups, working as part of a virtual team. Corporate Development projects typically involve the valuation of a target company using a range of public sources, analysis of the financial impact of acquisition on GSK and the preparation of briefing documents for a CET audience. The projects may require the Finance Analyst to assist in financial due diligence.
- Support the Directors of Corporate Development in managing their own project workload. Specifically, the Finance Analyst will (often under very tight time constraints) be required to build, develop and maintain very complex spreadsheet models and to present outputs clearly and in a highly professional format.
- Other occasional duties may include for example (i) the preparation of valuations relating to impairment testing of goodwill, intangibles and entity carrying values, (ii) benchmarking against competitors (iii) the preparation and updating of reports on the GSK target universe and competitor products (iv) making recommendations on corporate actions in relation to GSK's equity investments and (v) maintenance and improvement of the team's standard business combination and other financial models
The Corporate Development and Strategy teams work routinely with CET members and senior management from all parts of the business. These customers have high expectations and demand high quality output in short time frames. In order to build and maintain credibility the Finance Analyst must demonstrate close attention to detail, the ability to get things right first time and excellent project management skills. In addition, the Finance Analyst must respond flexibly to rapidly changing priorities and timelines and be comfortable with a high degree of organizational ambiguity.
- Ability to consider GSK as a whole when assessing opportunities
- Ability to build partnerships across all departments e.g. Corporate Finance, GMS, Legal, Commercial
- Ability to plan and work effectively to often short timelines and flexibility to cope with changing priorities at short notice.
- Ability to understand and adapt working style to suit different situations
- Ability to exercise high levels of judgment.
- High level of confidentiality required
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Qualified ACA/ CIMA accountant
- Knowledge of Unison/Bison at a Corporate level and Corporate structure; able to extract financial data from systems
- Demonstrated ability to use basic valuation techniques including discounted cash flow (NPV) analysis
- Strong analytical skills and ability to gather, analyse, simplify and summarise detailed and complex information from a range of sources.
- Accuracy with strong attention to detail.
- Expert proficiency in excel and good PowerPoint skills
- Developing knowledge of and interest in the dynamics of the Pharmaceutical industry and what drives valuations
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.