Assistant Manager, Financial Advisory, Open to flexible working and returners
Assistant Manager, Mining and Metals, Valuations, Financial Advisory, Open to flexible working
The Valuations team within Deloitte Corporate Finance Advisory provide advice on all aspects of valuing assets. The type of level can range from; companies, divisions¬¬ of companies, intellectual property and other income generating assets in the UK and abroad. The team often works on prestige assignments that are reported in the financial pages of newspapers both in the UK and abroad.
Projects transpire wherever there is a question of value, but can broadly be grouped as follows:
- M&A and investment analysis
- Reorganisation, turnaround and recapitalisation
- Litigation, expert determination and disputes
- Tax, financial and regulatory reporting, including fund valuations
- Intellectual property and intangible assets
Our team of approximately 60 valuations professionals includes ACAs, MBAs, CFAs and economists from varied diverse backgrounds who together bring to bear their qualifications and experience.
We are proud to offer flexible working arrangements which allow our people to choose the most suitable working arrangement that works for them. Whether this is working 4 days per week, taking the summer months off work, or more flexibility around your working pattern, we consider both formal and informal working arrangements that allow our people and our clients the best outcome.
If you would like to hear more about our flexible working arrangements, please let us know.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
As an Assistant Manager in our Valuations team you will play an integral part in valuing our mining and metals clients’ assets. Our team works closely with our internal specialists, Deloitte Technical Mining Advisory, valuing mineral assets and assisting in technical due diligence on a wide range of global mineral assets.
We are currently looking for an Assistant Manager whose responsibilities will include:
- Managing and assisting in delivering corporate financial advisory engagements for a wide range of mining and metals clients;
- Performing accurate and clearly presented financial and technical analysis and market research;
- Assisting in technical due diligence processes and associated engagements;
- Creating and developing quantitative models to assess value and financial performance;
- Self-challenging and clearly articulate rationale for conclusions;
- Participating in discussions with client senior and executive management;
- Understanding and discussing client acceptance and engagement risk mitigation processes;
- Gaining a deep understanding of valuation theory and obtaining an approved/relevant qualification;
- Actively pursuing self-learning, on the job training and knowledge from other team members;
- Contributing to broader group initiatives and beginning to build internal networks; and
- Working effectively in diverse teams within an inclusive team culture where people are recognised for their contribution.
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Location: Your home office will be London, but this client-facing role provides lots of opportunity for travel in the UK and overseas.
Work pattern: This is a permanent contract opportunity. The role can be worked on a full-time basis.
Your professional experience
- Experience working either (i) a technical role in mining/ mineral exploration or (ii) financial advisory in the mining sector;
- Strong academic record (2:1 Bachelor degree in a relevant subject as a minimum);
- Knowledge of basic financial and accounting concepts with the ability to analyse and value businesses;
- Knowledge of the fundamental technical aspects of mining operations, including ability to read and interpret mineral resource statements, mine plans, mineral processing flowsheets and financial models;
- Enthusiasm for, and ideally previous exposure to valuations in the mining and metals sector;
- Exceptional analytical, oral and written communication skills with a robust attention for detail;
- Ability to take complex analysis and to present and communicate it in a concise and clear manner;
- Show initiative to learn, ask questions and accomplish delegated tasks accurately;
- Client focus, with ability to work quickly, communicate effectively and establish effective working relationships;
- Logical and methodical approach to problem solving;
- Project management and organisational skills;
- The self-confidence/enthusiasm to be involved in business development activities.
- An MSc, MBA or equivalent in a relevant subject (e.g. finance, geology, mining or mineral process engineering);
- Pursuing or recently completed a professional accreditation (e.g. ACA, CFA or similar).
- Fluency in French/ Spanish/ Portuguese/ Russian desirable, but not essential.
Your service line: Financial Advisory
Advising clients in the moments that define their business takes multiple layers of expertise. Much more than due-diligence, this is about diverse teams of specialists coming together, crossing service lines and international borders to tackle the many, complex issues involved in major transactions. And we have one of the broadest networks in the business. Here, you’ll find fascinating, career-building projects, market leading approaches, cutting-edge resources, huge clients and inspirational colleagues. As well as opportunities to develop a deep industry or product specialism.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.
Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NSE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee ("DTTL"). DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL and Deloitte NSE LLP do not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more about our global network of member firms.