Assistant Director, M&A Corporate Finance Advisory - Open to flexible working & returners
Assistant Director, M&A Corporate Finance Advisory, Technology, Media and Telecoms (TMT), Financial
Deloitte Advisory Corporate Finance provides corporates, private equity houses and other clients with a full suite of M&A services advising on acquisitions, divestments, buy-outs and capital raisings, a significant number of which are cross-border or international in nature.
This group is divided into product and sector teams. The product teams include M&A, Debt Advisory, PLC Advisory, Special Situations (difficult/distressed M&A), Modelling and Valuations. The sector teams comprise TMT, Business Services, Consumer, Financial Services, Healthcare & Life Sciences, Manufacturing, Real Estate and THL (Travel, Hospitality and Leisure). In 2017, our diverse team of c.200 people in London and the regions advised on 87 completed deals.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
The TMT team within Deloitte Corporate Finance Advisory provides sector specialist advice to the companies and entrepreneurs at the forefront of innovation in the technology, media and telecoms sectors, and also advises private equity funds on their activity in the sector.
Our diverse team advises on the full range of corporate finance transactions and seeks to be relevant to fast growing, disruptive companies and their investors at every stage of their development.
The core offering encompasses:
- Sellside M&A – sale mandates for private equity, corporates and entrepreneurs to both strategic and financial acquirers;
- Buyside M&A – advising private equity and larger corporates on acquisitions in the sector, and;
- Growth fundraisings – larger fund raises for innovative companies looking to take their businesses to the next level.
Many transactions involve working with Deloitte’s market leading network of regional and international teams, and the majority leverage our significant presence in the US and Asian markets which are central to the TMT sector.
Across the UK, Deloitte has been the most active corporate finance adviser in the mid-market TMT sector since 2016 (transactions valued at up to £1bn). We are expanding our team to reflect the scale of the opportunity in TMT and to support a strong pipeline of business.
As an Assistant Director within the TMT team you will be responsible for:
- working on a range of M&A transactions across the TMT sector
- day to day management of transactions which includes responsibility for delivery of information memoranda, management presentations, valuation analysis, purchaser co-ordination, and taking responsibility for preparation of information for client/bidder/stakeholder communications
- primary contact for the client on a day to day basis on most transactions, together with a lead role on liaison with other advisers and potential purchasers alongside management of key stakeholders
- valuation work including financial modelling such as DCF and LBO analysis
- taking a lead and proactive role in driving forwards marketing and business development opportunities
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Location: You will be based in the Deloitte London office, however the role may also involve travel and will require the flexibility to meet peaks of work inherent in the cycle of a deal. We specify full mobility for our financial advisory roles but we make arrangements respectfully. Working from home days are available and flexible depending on clients, deadlines, and projects.
Work pattern: Permanent full-time but we do encourage careful consideration of agile ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is interesting as a permanent role with a degree of flexibility please do discuss with us.
Your professional experience
We are looking for candidates who have
- experience in an M&A lead advisory role with direct experience of managing deals on a day to day basis
- enthusiasm for TMT M&A transactions
- previous exposure to M&A transactions involving accelerated, non-standard and/or restructuring/insolvency processes (desirable)
- capability to contribute towards development and implementation of often innovative and bespoke M&A strategies for each transaction
- ability to communicate effectively with clients and internally, presentational skills
- project management and organisational skills
- ability to undertake detailed financial/commercial analysis for inclusion in client reports
- the self-confidence/appetite to lead on business development activities and pitching
- ability to develop, coach and motivate junior members of the team
- strong academics, including ACA/CFA or equivalent (desirable but not essential depending on other experience)
Your service line: Financial Advisory
Advising clients in the moments that define their business takes multiple layers of expertise. Much more than due-diligence, this is about diverse teams of specialists coming together, crossing service lines and international borders to tackle the many, complex issues involved in major transactions. And we have one of the broadest networks in the business. Here, you’ll find fascinating, career-building projects, market leading approaches, cutting-edge resources, huge clients and inspirational colleagues. As well as opportunities to develop a deep industry or product specialism.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.
Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NSE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee ("DTTL"). DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL and Deloitte NSE LLP do not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more about our global network of member firms.