Senior Materials Scientist, Open to flexible working
We are seeking a crystallisation process development scientist who has extensive theoretical and practical understanding of this science and how it relates to pharmaceutical product and process to join our Materials Science department within Chemical Development.
Materials Science provides holistic understanding of how structure influences particle and powder properties to design a particle process which optimises drug product processing and performance. As projects advance through development, Materials Scientists support project teams by performing laboratory studies, analysing data and supporting plant campaigns, from lead optimization up to and including the transfer and industrialization of manufacturing processes to commercial facilities. The role is fast-paced and dynamic as you may be working on a number of multi-disciplinary teams.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead and coordinate Materials Science activities on one or more projects.
- Design and execute crystallisation processes to produce active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) with appropriate properties for drug product processing.
- Design and execute experimental protocols to link the structural and bulk properties of an API to its performance in order to inform R&D decision making.
- Work effectively and collaboratively on multi-disciplinary development teams, alongside Chemists, Chemical Analysts, Engineers, Modellers and Material Scientists
- Perform data management and data interpretation, recording results effectively and communicating results in technical reports. Provide project direction based on interpretations of scientific data. Presentation of complex data to stakeholders and contribute to technical reviews on projects.
- Have thorough understanding of regulatory and data integrity requirements, including cGMP and GSK policies and procedures, with high quality and attention to one's own safety.
- Can initiate and lead new research direction and scientific strategies to achieve departmental goals.
Minimum required qualifications and experience:
- 5 + years pharmaceutical experience
- Bachelors Level qualification in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or equivalent
- Extensive experience in crystallisation design and process development
- Working knowledge of physical and organic chemistry
- Experience in solid state chemistry
Desired but not essential additional skills:
- Leadership of project team or sub-team/s
- Experience in project management and planning
- Experience in the scale-up and technology transfer of processes to pilot and commercial plants
- Knowledge of QbD principles, risk assessment and regulatory submissions
- Experience working with CROs and CDMOs
- Expertise in the use of PAT to study crystallization processes
- Experience in a broad range of physical properties characterization
- Understanding of polymorphism and solvation
- Experience in the generation and application of phase diagrams
- Familiar with drug product development of oral solid dose forms, inhaled and injectable formulations
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.