Indirect Tax Senior Advisor - open to flexible working
Our high profile and award winning VAT group based within our regional offices in the UK focus on leading clients through the maze of taxes, including VAT, Customs Duties, Excise and Betting Duties, Insurance Premium Tax, Air Passenger Duty and Landfill Tax.
Indirect tax team in London works with a variety of organisations across multiple sectors. The business has been growing steadily year on year and in order to seize the opportunities available in the market, the team requires new talent.
You will obtain a wide range of experience in all the core areas of indirect tax within a variety of markets and industries. The role will focus on a range of transaction related issues including diligence on mergers, acquisitions and disposals, structuring, and efficient recovery of taxes where possible. You will be learning and applying tax technical knowledge to often complex commercial scenarios. Typical transaction projects can be national to global, buy side or sell side and are often fast-moving so you will experience lots of variety.
The role also extends to businesses in some distress needing advice and assistance, through to formal insolvency appointments such as House of Fraser and Flybe where EY is responsible for managing the businesses through to their eventual dissolution.
Our VAT transaction team works alongside a dedicated international tax and transaction team that support some of the largest corporate and Private Equity businesses, providing an extensive range of business sector experiences. We are looking for a highly motivated, ambitious, enthusiastic, flexible and hard-working tax professional who is looking for a challenging career move. You must also be capable of prioritisation and handling multiple projects at once.
Part of the role will be to manage compliance obligations, particularly where EY has been appointed over an insolvent company. This entails working with our insolvency colleagues who provide source data that needs to be reported to HMRC via the VAT return, as well as often being the first contact when responding to HMRC’s enquiries.
Modern tax regulations are highly complex and dynamic. As a tax professional at Ernst & Young, you'll gain the technical knowledge and industry experience you need to help clients manage their tax obligations effectively and enhance their financial performance. In turn, we'll help you achieve your potential by giving you business advisory experience and professional development. Our senior tax professionals will support you throughout your career, helping you to grow and become a leader in the tax profession.
Your client responsibilities
- Build and maintain tax relationships with clients (primarily internal) and provide high levels of client service [do we want to mention that our clients are mostly internal? If someone was looking for lots of external client interaction it might be a bit of a surprise]
- Build relationships both within the firm and externally with clients, identifying opportunities and managing expectations
- Contribute to winning new work by proactively managing existing internal networks and contribute to winning new clients.
- Manage the successful delivery of tax projects, ensuring technical excellence and practical/business driven approach taken
- Responsible for day-to-day delivery of client and HMRC liaison
- Key member of one of the client service groups providing full tax services to a client portfolio.
Skills & Attributes
- Relevant VAT experience
- Strong Indirect Tax technical skills and keen to develop further
- Experience working for a large firm is preferable but not essential (we will consider candidates from professional services or law firms)
- Ability to build strong client relationships, both internal and external
- Excellent communicator in range of situations both written and oral
- Ability to identify areas of risk, carry out an effective review and know when to refer upwards
- Able to balance attention to detail with consideration of whether the issue is material and the bigger commercial picture
- Client focused and commercially aware
- Relationship management skills with ability to manage client expectations
- Team player with ability to build effective relationships at all levels
- Project management skills, plan and prioritise work, meet deadlines, be flexible, monitor budgets and handle multiple ongoing projects.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Commitment for support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.