Solid-state NMR Spectroscopist, Open to flexible working
GSK is a leading, science-led global biopharmaceutical healthcare company with R&D playing a fundamental role in helping GSK to achieve its mission - enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
We currently have a vacancy in our spectroscopy group for a solid-state NMR spectroscopist. This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to join an NMR-focussed team within a multi-disciplinary analytical department, delivering expert solid-state NMR support to a range of projects, including applications in small molecule drug substances, drug products in a variety of formulation types, and also large molecules.
Working in a flexible solution and solid-state NMR team, the successful candidate will undertake solid-state NMR analysis, design and set up methodologies to support problem solving and product development for multiple projects with diverse challenges alongside other multi-faceted scientists. The successful candidate will also work with a high level of autonomy, contributing to regulatory submissions and overseeing completion of work packages to deadlines.
Primary responsibilities and duties of this role, under the guidance of a team leader, include:
- To work as part of spectroscopy team using solid-state NMR (SSNMR) spectroscopy to provide a key part of the primary solid state analysis of our drug substances and drug products
- To develop and apply innovative SSNMR methods to analytical problems
- To actively work in global, multi-disciplinary project teams to solve problems by the most effective route, using a knowledge of other key analytical techniques, especially infrared, Raman and XRPD
- To suggest experimental approaches, evaluate results and provide reports on the work performed
- To evaluate, introduce and apply new methodology and technology in SSNMR, contributing to the strategic development of the spectroscopy group
- To troubleshoot experimental and instrumental problems
- To comply with the requirements of Quality, Safety and GSK policies and procedures and ensure that GSK intellectual property is protected
- BSc or Ph.D.in Chemistry or Physical Chemistry or related subject, preferably in an SSNMR spectroscopy-related discipline
- Proven track record of use of SSNMR in the solid state study of organic/inorganic/biological materials
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art SSNMR techniques and instrumentation
- Strong communication, project management and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and problem solve with a track record of generating high quality data and reports
- Demonstrated ability to proactively build networks and relationships that instil confidence, trust and teamwork.
- Experience in analysis of small organic molecules by SSNMR would be an advantage
- Proven track record of development of novel SSNMR methodology in the pharmaceutical (or related) industry
- Experience in optimising, developing and troubleshooting SSNMR methods
- Understanding and knowledge of solution state NMR spectroscopy and its applications in the pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical (or related) industry, ideally with practical experience would be an advantage
- Experience or knowledge of large molecular drug (biopharmaceutical) development would be an advantage
- Experience in regulated GxP laboratory working would be an advantage
- Project leadership skills
- Knowledge of structural analysis techniques other than NMR would be an advantage, e.g. vibrational spectroscopy (IR, Raman), XRPD, single crystal X-ray diffraction
- Self-motivated flexible approach with good organizational skills and ability to communicate in a scientific manner.
- Successful record of influencing, mentoring and developing colleagues.
- Experience in the preparation of regulatory dossiers
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.