Project Manager, Open to flexible working
Are YOU energized by an opportunity to apply your Project/Program management discipline and drug/vaccine development expertise to build and deliver robust and competitive plans that ensure optimal delivery of medicines/vaccines to patients? If so, the Project Manager role could be an exciting opportunity to explore.
As a Project Manager you will lead the planning, scheduling, tracking, and reporting of activities and milestones of the drug/vaccine development and/or life cycle management plan. You will also support scenario planning to enable robust decision making through in-depth analysis of program activities.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Responsible to and works with the Project Leader and Project Team to translate the strategy into an integrated development plan with clear go/no go decision points and associated milestones including critical path and sub-functional plans.
- Defines opportunities for acceleration and manages the assumptions regarding human resources, costs, risks, schedule required to accomplish certain gains in time to next milestone. Translate project acceleration ideas into project outline through roadmaps, resource calculations, budget variance, time variance. Create scenarios using appropriate tools.
- For Program - In collaboration with the Program Leader (and Program Team), drives creation of an integrated Program plan across GSK (R&D, Commercial, Manufacturing), with clear go/no go decision points and associated milestones, in order to support the execution of the Program strategy and the delivery of the Program expected benefits. Works with Project/Program Managers to ensure program strategic alignment; Oversees Streams/Project/Programs initiation & endorsement related to his/her Program.
- Leads identification of Project/Program issues and risks and drive resolution or mitigation through a matrix environment, effectively documenting decisions/rationale.
- Monitors progress against approved Project/Program plans and manages Project/Program performance (set performance measures and drive a performance dialogue). Proactively identifies deviations vs. plan, suggesting resolution actions and manages changes in accordance with the structured governance to resolve scope, quality, schedule, cost, risk or benefits impacts.
- Integrates activities with all functional lines to create alignment of development plans with functional area plans.
- Ensures source systems reflect the current Project/Program plan assumptions to enable integrated planning across the organization and tracks performance against baseline and current plan. Adheres to Business rules.
Governance and Decision- Making
- Facilitates timely decisions through the Project/Program life cycle by determining key investment points.
- Facilitates the preparation of documents for governance consultations. Provides complete, accurate and timely timeline, budget and resource plan, risks and expected valuation information to enable effective portfolio management and decision making.
- Partners with the Decision Science group and assists in preparing strategic scenario planning and analyses to achieve time, resource or value advantages.
- Works with Project/Program Leader to ensure cascade of decisions to sub-teams.
- Identifies and manages Project/Program resource requirements and anticipated variability (people, time, cost, risk). Works with line function representatives to ensure resource estimates are accurate, variances of actual vs forecast are addressed, and progress tracked.
- Identifies resource requirements and suggests ways to fill gaps within matrix teams.
- For Program - Ensure Program is resourced and funded to succeed according to plan. Consolidates, monitors and controls program budget and resources based on streams/Project/Programs' input. Determines and coordinates the sharing of resources among Program components to the overall benefit of the Program. Solves resource conflicts that affects multiple components of the Program.
Team Operations and Performance
- Provides operational leadership of Project/Program team: Manages Project/Program-level team meetings i.e. EDT/MDT/VDT/DPT/VCT/... Ensures the team functions effectively (including lessons learned), team meetings have structure and purpose with clear agendas, pre-work and outcomes. Documents clear decisions/actions (minutes) that are communicated to team members and stakeholders.
- Oversees execution of team strategy by coordinating, driving and owning several Project/Program deliverables.
- Integrates compliance requirements and business rules into team operations.
- Can lead a sub-team when focus is required to deliver a specific deliverable.
- In partnership with the Project/Program Leader, acts to maintain effective dynamics and create optimal team performance.
- In collaboration with the development leader, promotes change and motivates the team using appropriate tools and techniques in order to increase commitment to the program objectives.
- Utilizes effective communication skills to facilitate appropriate information exchange between the Project/Program Team, Functional Lines, Project/Program Leader, Sub-Teams, Portfolio team and Senior Management.
- Identifies Project/Program stakeholders and ensures relevant and timely communications in line with stakeholders' communication requirements.
- Maintains accurate Project/Program information in corporate systems used to manage and report on progress and performance in compliance with approved standards.
- Stays current with Project/Program management tools and methodologies in GSK and in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Continuously enhances personal understanding of drug/vaccine development and therapy area knowledge to enable contribution to Project/Program strategy.
- Participates in process improvement and brings in external perspectives and industry standard practices. Accountable for implementing new business process and strategies.
- For program: Provides Program management expertise and leadership that is consistently applied with Program teams, actively participate in initiatives around Program management best practices and drive deployment of Program management practices across Program team.
- Performs Project/Program data analyses and reporting, as needed to conduct periodic health checks and ensure quality of Project/Program planning and control.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor's/Master's Degree in Life Science
- Minimum 7 years pharmaceutical R&D or related industry experience.
- Drug/vaccine development experience at project level and/or at functional level - Direct experience in biopharmaceutical Program Planning required.
- Strong experience with Planisware and/or MS Project.
- Risk, budget and resource management
- Advanced knowledge of multi-disciplinary biopharmaceutical drug development required, Oncology development experience with both small-molecule and biologics and Vaccines development experience desired for many projects.
- Exceptional computer proficiency - advanced knowledge of MS-Office applications required (including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Project/Program).
- Ability to effectively manage multiple Projects/Programs with competing priorities.
- Recognized leader who exhibits effective communication, EQ, within Matrix Teams (even remotely).
- Leadership experience in a matrix environment.
- Highly effective influencing and negotiations skills in challenging, ambiguous and/or changing environments.
- Highly effective verbal, written, presentation communications skills.
- Ability to work with project teams and senior leadership teams to identify novel solutions to both project-specific and portfolio wide issues
- Demonstrated skill operating in situations characterized by complexity, ambiguity and high levels of uncertainty.
- Possess negotiation skills and ability to influence with or without authority at all levels of the organization.
- High level of energy, enthusiasm and commitment.
- Ability to build credibility quickly across a diverse range of GSK functional teams, seniority, and geography.
- Analytical and organised
- Business and Financial acumen.
- Fluent in English
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Pharmaceutical drug/vaccine development certification.
- Project/Program Management Professional (PMP) certificate is a plus.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.