Assistant Director, M&A Operations, Transaction Services, Open to flexible working & returners
Assistant Director, M&A Operations, Transaction Services, Financial Advisory
This is your opportunity to join Deloitte's market-leading M&A Operations team, working right at the heart of the largest and highest profile deals within the UK and across the globe. You will utilise your experience of M&A operational due diligence and operational performance improvement, and develop an impressive range of operational and commercial consulting skills that will multiply your career options. Benefiting from early client exposure and learning from some of the top practitioners in the field, you will be involved throughout the M&A deal lifecycle.
Our clients are the world's leading corporate businesses and private equity firms. You will have the opportunity to work on market-leading M&A transactions at a UK, European and global level, including significant interactions across Deloitte and other advisers around the world.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of two years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
Your role will be to provide operational M&A expertise to corporate organisations, private equity houses and financial institutions across all sectors. You will deliver services ranging across carve-out assessments, performance improvement evaluations, operational due diligence, 100-day planning and synergy development and review assignments.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Providing corporate and private equity clients with both the buy- and sell-side transaction operational due diligence
- Assisting corporate and private equity clients in understanding the true operational capability of potential acquisition targets as well as existing owned businesses, feeding into their overall investment theses
- Working with corporate and private equity clients in the assessment and review of potential synergies, the impact and complexities of carve-outs on vendor and target organisations and the stand-alone performance improvement potential of buyouts and corporate divestments
- Working with colleagues from Transaction Services (Financial Due Diligence), Financial Advisory, Consulting and the broader Deloitte network, to provide our clients with end-to-end M&A and due diligence services with a coherent overview of the business operations, performance gaps and the potential for rapid improvement
- Managing the development and completion of the engagement scope and completion of client deliverables
- Leading the day-to-day delivery on engagements, reporting into the team of Directors and Partners
- Supporting management of client relationships and in many cases being a key client contact on engagements
- Supporting the development of service offerings and evolving propositions to drive practice growth
- Supporting training and developing team members in role
- Managing diverse teams of Managers and Assistant Managers within an inclusive team culture where people are recognised for their contribution
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Your home office will be London, but this client-facing role generally provides lots of opportunity for travel in the UK and overseas.
This is a permanent contract opportunity. The role can be worked on a full-time basis.
Your professional experience
- Experience of working in the M&A / deal lifecycle, specifically due diligence and / or operational performance improvement
- Excellent financial analysis skills
- Strong problem solving, business diagnostic and analytical skills
- A strong understanding of business operations
- Experience of analysing and understanding financial statements particularly relating to operations and costs
- Good organisational and administrative skills with the ability to prioritse effectively
- A strong academic track record including good A-level (or equivalent) results
- Experience of operating with senior level stakeholders
- Ability to conduct business in fluent oral and written English is a pre-requisite
- Strong commercial acumen and project management capability with a track record of successful delivery
- Great presentation skills
- Flexibility for international travel
- Experience across the full spectrum of M&A operations services (operational due diligence, operational performance improvement, carve-outs and synergies)
- Experience in business development, from opportunity identification to conversion into sales
- Experience in coaching, mentoring or counselling colleagues
- Direct experience working in a related role in industry
- Strong Financial Services or TMT sector knowledge that you will leverage to contribute towards building out our team's capabilities in this industry
Your service line: Financial Advisory
Advising clients in the moments that define their business takes multiple layers of expertise. Much more than due-diligence, this is about diverse teams of specialists coming together, crossing service lines and international borders to tackle the many, complex issues involved in major transactions. And we have one of the broadest networks in the business. Here, you'll find fascinating, career-building projects, market leading approaches, cutting-edge resources, huge clients and inspirational colleagues. As well as opportunities to develop a deep industry or product specialism.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm.
The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It's how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work - and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we're looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Please click 'Apply' to submit your application