Ethics and Independence Senior Manager, Open to flexible working
London (110 Bishopsgate), Aberdeen (Silver Fin Building), Belfast (Harvester House), Birmingham (The Colmore Building),Bristol (2 Glass Wharf), Cambridge (Cambridge Science Park), Cardiff (3 Callaghan Square), Edinburgh (7 Exchange Crescent), Glasgow (110 Queen Street), Leeds (No 1 Whitehall Riverside), Leicester (Regent House), Liverpool (Royal Liver Building), Manchester (4 Hardman Square), Milton Keynes (Victoria House), Northampton (Pavilion Drive), Oxford (Seacourt Tower), Preston PSA Hub (County Hall), Reading (1020 Eskdale Road), Sheffield (1 Holly Street), Southampton (Benham 5)
Join us and you’ll shape more than just your career
We believe we’re best positioned to make a meaningful impact on the economy. Every day, we provide a diverse range of organisations with the kind of business and financial advice it takes to do this. Our ideas and insights empower our clients to make big decisions about the future and unlock sustainable growth. With a relentless focus on quality and integrity, we help businesses, communities and our people to flourish.
Let’s talk about the job
If you enjoy working on a wide-reaching range of ethics and independence projects that will help businesses and communities flourish, you’ll fit right in. Here are some things you can expect from this role.
- Making quality second nature. This means doing what’s right even when no one’s looking. The work that you will do has a major impact on our clients and our firm. We pride ourselves on the high-level standards we have for the work that we do.
- Own your own work. Within this role, you’ll act as a senior member of the Ethics Function and perform a variety of roles within the team such as drafting responses to more technically demanding queries and consultations on a range of topics across FRC and, IESBA and ICAEW Ethical Standards requirements, and undertaking perform second reviews of high-risk engagement queries and reviews drafted by other members of the team. You’ll take a lead the writing of intranet resources and technical guidance on ethics related matters, reviewing material drafted by others and be the subject matter expert for specialist ethics matters. You’ll also be involved in moderate moderating the findings of quality reviews of audit files for ethics issues, you’ll overseeing a and monitoring our systems, processes and procedures ensuring that we are meeting our requirements and delivering quality at the highest levels. You’ll draft responses to more technically demanding queries and consultations on a range of topics across FRC and IESBA Ethical Standards and perform second reviews of high-risk engagement queries and reviews. You’ll lead the writing of intranet resources and technical guidance on ethics related matters, reviewing material drafted by others and be the subject matter expert for specialist ethics matters. You’ll moderate the findings from thematic reviews on specific ethics related subject matters, be involved in compliance and monitoring required under the ethics firm’s ethical requirements standard and present or support presenters on ethics related matters at both internal and external training events.
- Be a part of a team. Our Ethics Function plays a crucial role in shaping how Grant Thornton conducts its professional and ethical practices. Working closely with the regulators and our people, the team ensures that the firm remains compliant with ethical standards requirements and continues to uphold the firm's professional integrity.
- Take responsibility. As a Senior Manager in this team, you’ll be be experienced in ethics and independence matters and will work closely with the firm’s professional staff, partner and senior leadership to shape and deliver the firm’s quality agenda, act as a business enabler and mitigate risks.
- Build your brand. Give the importance of ethics and independence and increased regulatory scope and focus, this role offers exciting opportunities for the right person to continually expand their knowledge and make a difference.
The minimum criteria
- You’ll have an ethics, independence or audit background or previous experience in a similar.
- You’ll understand the ethical standards requirements governing the accounting profession and how to interpret and apply these overarching principles across a range of business and personal situations.
- You'll have the ability to provide advice and guidance, responding to consultations submitted from across our practice.
- You'll be able to write and deliver training on various aspects of independence (e.g. FRC Ethical Standards, firm processes etc.)
- You'll recognise the critical importance of compliance and be able to act as a role model to junior ethics Ethics Function members and our wider firm.
- You'll have the ability to be able to manage ad-hoc projects that may be required to support independence activities.
Skills to set you apart.
Here are a few more skills we are looking for. Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box. It’s important for us to support you in your role and help you to develop along the way.
- You’ll have previous experience of working in a professional’s services firm or similar.
- You’ll have excellent organisation and analytical skills with the ability to prioritise effectively.
- You’ll have excellent IT skills (MS Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Word)
- You’ll be a resilient individual who enjoys being part of a diverse team.
- You'll have experience of mentoring, coaching and guiding junior members within the team, supporting with their development and career aspirations.
- You’ll be a good communicator to varied audiences of all levels.
- You'll have the ability to collaborate with others', providing support and/or influence, with the flexibility to change behaviours where necessary;
Do you care about the same things we do?
We have six values we work by. When we meet, we’ll want you to show us how they’re important to you, too.
Collaboration: We work together, share ideas and always make time to help each other out.
Leadership: Everyone has the chance to lead their own projects.
Excellence: Quality is central to our purpose. We love what we do, and it shows. We sweat the details. We see things through, no matter how tricky.
Agility: The world moves quickly. To keep up, we stay flexible – changing approaches, changing projects, working offline, online, together and alone to get things done.
Respect: A given, of course: we value each other and our clients. We listen, we understand, we care.
Responsibility: The decisions we make and advice we give affects people’s lives and livelihoods. We take that seriously and always do well by doing what’s right.
Bring your whole self
Now you’ve seen our values, it shouldn’t be a surprise that we’re creating a respectful, open, diverse place to work. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues, is not just the right thing to do, it helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
“We are committed to making sure that the opportunities within our firm are equally accessible for everyone – regardless of background or gender.” Dave Dunckley, CEO
There’s more to life than work
Families, children, sports, night classes…the things you do and the people you’re with outside work matter. They can inspire, motivate and energise you. Inside the office and out. So if you’d like to work flexibly, let us know. We’re happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we’ll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.
For further information and to submit your application please click 'Apply'.