Enzyme Engineer, Open to flexible working
GlaxoSmithKline is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent & technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better, & live longer.
GSK are currently looking for an Enzyme Engineer to join the Stevenage site on a full-time and permanent basis. An exciting opportunity has arisen in the GlaxoSmithKline Synthetic Biochemistry group. The primary focus of this role is to support the discovery and engineering of enzymes for use in research, development and manufacturing. We are looking for a highly motivated individual with experience in protein directed evolution, especially with application to the discovery and engineering of enzymes for use in industrially relevant processes. The successful candidate would participate in an interdisciplinary team tasked with identifying optimal opportunities for implementing enzyme process across the pharma portfolio.
Key responsibilities may include:
- Generating libraries of enzyme variants for high throughput expression
- Developing appropriate assays to screen variants in high throughput
- Running screens to identify improved variants
- Designing experiments, collecting data and analysing data to make good decisions
- Support scale up activities for generation and use of enzymes
- Interact with partners in discovery, development and manufacturing to identify and pursue enzyme opportunities
- Designing experiments, collecting and analysing large datasets using programs such as MS Excel, TIBCO Spotfire and bespoke software tools to make good decisions
- Generate conclusion reports, present data in team meetings & participate in writing of abstracts & publications
- Conduct scientific work programs and make contributions both independently and as a member of a team with other R&D staff
- Maintain customer focus, motivate self, and demonstrate a high degree of urgency
- Exhibit flexibility, being open to new ways of working
Closing Date for Applications: Wednesday 16th June 2021 Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
- Ph.D. in Enzyme/Protein engineering, Biocatalysis, Biochemistry, Synthetic Biology or related field, years or proven relevant experience in engineering biocatalysts
- Experience with the identification of natural enzymes to perform reactions of interest, and the optimization of those enzymes for use under synthetically relevant conditions
- Hands-on experience in the engineering of enzymes via directed evolution for improved properties
- Experience with molecular cloning, site-directed mutagenesis, and large-scale variant library construction.
- Experience in high throughput recombinant enzyme assays
- Demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams, displaying excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experience with parallel experimentation, high throughput assay development, Design of Experiments, etc.
- Familiarity with lab automation equipment and its use in high throughput experimentation
- Ability to analyse and visualise large multidimensional datasets
- Experience with next generation sequencing and the analysis of next generation sequencing results
- Demonstrated excellence in the end to end execution of directed evolution projects including enzyme identification, library design, generation, and screening
- Computational experience would be highly desirable
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best. When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing. Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.