Global Projects Director - Drug Substance, Open to flexible working
This is a key leadership position in the Global Capital Projects group, responsible for heading a team of Project Managers who deliver a vital capital investment portfolio to support business growth and the needs of our existing manufacturing. You will lead, develop and nurture your international team, empowering them to deliver projects globally - on time, on budget and to the quality required by the business. Success in the role requires development of an excellent internal network across Site Directors, Supply Chain Leadership, Engineering and more, and you will support these teams in defining their ongoing capital needs and support the delivery of required projects. You will provide visible leadership, advocacy, coaching and mentorship, demonstrating commitment to key practices and behaviours to drive a positive and exemplary Projects team culture. This position also requires considerable engagement with our contractors and other external partners such as suppliers and design houses.
The global scope of this position will offer the successful candidate considerable international exposure, and the opportunity to work with colleagues all over the world! You'll develop a brilliant, high level network across the business and will lead a team delivering on a range of engineering projects that are consistently varied and exciting. We want to empower someone to build and deliver global strategies within the Biopharmaceutical space and are looking for a leader who is enthused by this challenge. There is also an international travel requirement for this position which will likely be between 30-50%.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Full accountability for delivery of the capital plan for area of responsibility, which may flex over time, in line with the business strategy
- Management of the project management group, directing multiple project teams, managers and associated project delivery staff, leading in a collaborative and supportive way and exhibiting all the expected behaviours of a senior GSK leader
- Direction of the delivery strategy for the projects, ensuring strategies deliver appropriate, safe and secure service relevant to each geography
- Development and delivery of an annual business and improvement plan to meet the business demands whilst improving safety, reliability and cost efficiency of delivery
- Acting as a subject matter expert and point of escalation for project related concerns
- Representing the project on key strategy and steering teams and in Exec level meetings on strategy and delivery
- Ensuring compliant delivery and direct assurance processes to ensure all requirements for safe, secure and ethical practice are in place and in operation
- Representing GSK and the project with external bodies at the highest level
- To research, seek and drive the latest Design and Construction Technology (Modularisation, Componentisation, Engineering Data Management, Digital delivery) - exploiting them to maximise the short- and long-term quality, safety and financial benefit
- Understanding the impact of cGMP on the design & delivery of projects, ensuring alignment with all regulatory requirements and the QMS
- Act as a visible advocate for diversity in engineering and project delivery.
- To advocate for GSK Safety Life Saving Rules.
We need a true leader; someone who is passionate about building a team, improving their capability and supporting them to do their best work on behalf of the wider business. You'll be someone driven by results, a "completer-finisher" with the tenacity, rigour and thorough approach required to ensure sophisticated, process intensive and potentially difficult projects are consistently completed to a high standard. It will be particularly helpful in this position to have prior knowledge of how construction contractors work, allowing you to understand the daily concerns and working priorities of your third part contract partners, using this to build highly successful and engaged relationships with these teams.
CLOSING DATE for applications: Sunday 20th June (COB)
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
Required Qualifications and experience:
- Degree qualified in a technical subject area, such as an Engineering specialism
- Significant experience in the Pharmaceutical industry
- Experience of large molecule drug substance projects
- Experience in delivering complicated construction projects
- Proven knowledge of the economics and commercial realities of construction and contracting
- Direct experience leading projects in global and diverse cultures
- Deep and broad understanding of the capital project lifecycle from Design to Operation
- Experience leading a project group, including multiple project managers
Preferred Qualifications and experience:
- Holds Chartered Engineering status (or international equivalent, eg PE)
- Member of an Engineering Institution or Project Management Body
- Hands on experience working for an EPCM
- Additional language skills are beneficial
- Experience working in a sophisticated, matrixed environment
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.