Head of Construction, GCP, Homeworking
Home based with travel
Are you energized by a leadership role that requires strategic thinking and extensive internal and external engagement? If so, this Global Head of Construction (Pharma) role could be an exciting opportunity to explore.
This exciting role will provide you the opportunity to lead key activities to progress your career, these responsibilities include some of the following:
- Responsible for the development, communication, training, coaching and maintenance of the PMF construction practices, procedures and ways of working used for the effective management, benchmarking, control and reporting of construction execution, status and safety performance.
- Functional leadership of all staff engaged in construction projects on GCP directed or influenced projects.
- Expert support and guidance to project construction staff throughout the GSK community of Engineering and the key advocate in improving our ways of working, safety standards, construction quality and guidance.
- Provision of tools, ways of working and methodologies for the management of construction and demolition projects.
- Thought leader in the introduction of different ways of working in the construction arena.
- Leader and network champion in benchmarking and metrics which establish relative value in GCP project execution and performance eg Safety, Quality and Waste targets.
- Leadership of staff engagement in construction projects and coach for the extended network of staff similarly engaged across GSK including oversight and final selection of all staff and contractors engaged by GCP projects.
- SME and owner of the Global Engineering Standard for Construction and Demolition and EHS SG5.17
- Owner of our practices in Integrated Project Delivery and the collaborative approach to contractor and supplier engagement.
- Expert in the exploitation and improvement of our systems, such as visible reporting, Safety Observations and Construction Quality and benchmarking.
- Maintain and engage with leading Construction Management and safety service providers globally to ensure we build on best practice and have access to effective partners.
- Leadership of the community of practice and training tools for the development of capability in Construction Management and safety in all regions and sites.
We are looking for candidates with the following qualifications:
- Essential Education/Qualifications:
- Degree in Engineering
- Recognised Safety Construction Management certificate, (ie either IOSH Managing Safely or Certified Safety Professional from the BCSP)
- Chartered Engineer (CEng) registered with the Engineering Council
- Essential Experience
- Substantial construction site experience across multiple disciplines in a pharmaceutical or medical device environment.
- Substantial experience in Construction execution, management and safety on a global basis for the delivery of large capital projects in the process industry.
- Real world experience in collaborative engagement and working with construction contractors and suppliers.
- Management and direction of construction targets around safety, waste and environmental management
- People management and communication skills, including supervision / motivation / coaching of others.
- Ability to work in a matrixed organisation and use influencing skills to exert functional leadership
- Willingness to travel extensively
- Construction management and safety experience on major capital projects, with the ability to recognize key warning signs and critical success factors related to construction safety.
- >10 years' experience in construction
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.