Bioprocess/Purification Scientist, Open to flexible working
GlaxoSmithKline is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
The Process De-risking team within the Biopharm Onestream group, R&D Stevenage is looking for an enthusiastic and passionate scientist, to join its dynamic team, developing purification processes to support the progression of GSK's innovative early stage Biopharm portfolio. This person will have the opportunity to utilise state of the art purification hardware, cutting edge analytics and execute the latest process development approaches.
This pivotal lab-based role sits within GSK's wider Biopharm Process Research (BPR) group, which straddles drug discovery and product development. Scientists can expect to deal with a range of different biomolecules, from monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) which render themselves amenable to platform purification, to more challenging modalities such as bispecific antibodies and recombinant proteins.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing robust and scalable purification processes and then transferring them to GSK's large-scale manufacturing facilities, to supply Phase I clinical trials.
- The timely development and optimisation of robust downstream purification processes which can be scaled up to supply material for early stage clinical trials (Phase I & II).
- Performing necessary work packages to characterise purification process performance and where necessary, highlight and discharge biomanufacturing risks.
- The production of reference batches of material to support analytical development and preclinical studies.
- Authoring detailed technical reports and process transfer documents to support tech transfer activities.
- The use of high-throughput automation in process development.
- Staying current with the latest Downstream purification technology improvements, and process development approaches, and leading continuous improvement efforts to maintain GSK's technical competitiveness.
- Working with key stakeholders (e.g. Process and Analytical Development) to ensure alignment of processes and practices.
- Contributing to and potentially leading project and matrix teams as appropriate to deliver both the GSK portfolio as well as technology development objectives.
- Seeking all opportunities to develop and maintain a strong Intellectual Property position.
- Maintaining relationships with external professional, trade, and scientific organisations consistent with GSK business needs.
Closing Date for Applications: 14th June 2021 (COB)
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- MSc or Bachelor's degree in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Biochemical Engineering or related discipline.
- Background in Protein Sciences and/or Biomanufacturing.
- Detailed understanding of common downstream processing unit operations and Bioprocess development (with a focus at the early stage).
- Experience in running AKTA platforms such as AKTA Avant, AKTA Explorer and AKTA Pilot.
- Experience of working on complex research projects both as an individual and as part of a team.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- PhD in related discipline and/or relevant industrial experience.
- Familiar with Critical Quality Attributes (CQAs) and Quality by Design (QBD) concepts and standard process development strategies and approaches.
- Understanding of how the production of a protein can impact its structure and function and vice versa.
- Experience of working with a range of molecule formats such as bispecifics, recombinant proteins, fc-fusions.
- Understanding of process analytical technologies and/or upstream/cell culture concepts.
- Be able to perform quantitative and qualitative protein assay techniques.
- Understanding of statistical design of experiments and common data analysis techniques.
- Strong ability to build professional relationships.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.