Vector Formulation Scientist, Open to flexible working
GlaxoSmithKline is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
GSK Cell and Gene Therapy Platform CMC team is a cross functional team covering vectorology, process development, analytical development, QC, supply chain operations/strategy. The team has aligned support from Quality, Regulatory and other functions. The team works in close partnership with cell and gene therapy discovery research capability (focussed on translation medicine, target biology/payload) and the therapy areas to provide the end-end capabilities required for the therapy areas.
The team will grow rapidly to enable delivery of a multiproduct pipeline and building a world-class capability in CMC/supply to ensure GSK's positioning as a leader in the gene therapy field. A critical part of this growth will be the formation of a specific formulation/delivery capability to support the cell and gene therapy platform. This role will be based in the UK at the Stevenage site.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work within the team to support development work on a cancer immune-cell therapy program.
- Design, execute, analyse and report experimental work for vector formulation development.
- Work closely with vector and cell process development scientists to ensure formulations developed can be applied to the planned processes.
- Provide analytical testing support to ongoing formulation and development stability studies.
- Reports to Team Leader, Formulation Dev, Cell & Gene Therapy Platform CMC.
Closing Date for Applications: Wednesday 16th June 2021 (COB)
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- BS and relevant experience in biology, biochemistry, gene/cell therapy, biopharmaceuticals, vaccines.
- Experience of working with Lenti-virus.
- Experience of cell cryopreservation.
- Motivated and fast learner with track record of working with new technologies.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experience in formulation development of either: biopharms, vaccines, vectors, cell products or novel small molecule platforms.
- Ability to plan and drive experiments internally and with external partners.
- Demonstrate innovative thinking.
- Hands-on experience with analytical techniques in studying viral vectors, cell based products, biopharms, or vaccines.
- Understanding of cGMP guidelines.
- Willing to learn, adapt to change quickly.
- Drive performance: Holding yourself and the team accountable for delivering quality results.
- Work across the boundaries: Work collaboratively with other line members within C> team and active communication with clinical development and other lines within PTS.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to describe how you meet the competencies required for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigor and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.