Assistant Manager/Manager, Strategic & Balance Sheet Advisory, Open to flexible working & returners
Assistant Manager / Manager, Strategic & Balance Sheet Advisory, Financial Advisory
The Strategic & Balance Sheet Advisory team provides global financial institutions with capital advisory services – across strategic forecasting, capital allocation advisory and resource optimisation at the group, subsidiary, and business line levels via both liability and asset solutions.
The team works in partnership with FIG M&A and PLAS, and in close coordination with Risk Advisory, Debt Advisory, and Transaction Services, to provide a full advisory product suite to financial institutions, to strengthen their balance sheets and financial performance on a BAU basis and through transformational events. In the coming year, the team is looking to expand to include an additional manager and assistant manager, on the back of continued franchise growth.
You will be part of the wider Deloitte Advisory Corporate Finance team which provides corporates, private equity houses and other clients with a full suite of M&A services advising on acquisitions, divestments, buy-outs and capital raisings, a significant number of which are cross-border or international in nature.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
The Strategic & Balance Sheet Advisory Unit is looking for an experienced manager with a solid background in bank capital structure and liability analysis, and ideally robust data modelling and IT capabilities.
The successful candidate for this position will be able to understand bank capital and liability management, with the ability to amend and build upon the team’s established capital forecasting model for global financial institutions.
Ability to understand / assess balance sheet / capital forecasting and identify / propose tangible actions (both asset and liability-based) for balance sheet and capital optimization is critical, relative to regulatory requirements, peer analysis, investor and credit rating agency benchmarks. This involves a solid understanding of current and future regulatory requirements for banks within the context of MREL/TLAC, Basel 3, and resolution planning.
The manager will work closely with the team’s senior management in developing analysis and recommendations for banks, and will prepare the documentation for client presentations based on the analysis.
Our clients are at the centre of what we do. Developing a deep understanding of their business and commercial environment is essential for our success. As such, you will spend time building lasting client relationships based on deep industry knowledge and relevant research.
You will be responsible for:
- Analysing banks' balance sheet and capital positions, recommending future capital and liability targets, and identifying tangible actions to reach the targeted balance sheet structure over the forecasting period, e.g. portfolio sales, RWA optimisation, capital markets transactions. Understanding of liability management transactions would be a benefit
- Amending and building upon the team’s established capital / liability forecasting model, leveraging the candidate's solid IT capabilities, knowledge of bank balance sheets, and understanding of current / future regulatory capital and other requirements
- Compiling and preparing presentations for global financial institution clients and for internal use (where applicable), including comprehensive performance benchmarking
- Updating the team through the monitoring of regulatory, market and credit rating agency developments, along with potential implications for the financial institution client base
- Liaising with internal teams (PLAS, Risk Advisory, Transaction Services) on recommended balance sheet actions, with a solid understanding of the commercial solutions for clients available from the firm
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Location: You will be based in the Deloitte London office.
Suggested work pattern: This is a permanent full-time contract opportunity.
Your professional experience
- Experience of working in finance, treasury or related teams, with an understanding of bank accounting and data modelling. Experience of working in a capital-markets / investment banking firm
- Solid IT knowledge
- Background in bank capital analysis (potentially gained through performing ICAAPs or through experience in debt capital market teams)
- Strong analytical and written presentation skills, with high attention to detail and an ability to analyse data with creativity and innovation
- Ability to operate independently and provide initial recommendations for review and iteration by senior management
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work in a team player environment
Your service line: Financial Advisory
Advising clients in the moments that define their business takes multiple layers of expertise. Much more than due-diligence, this is about diverse teams of specialists coming together, crossing service lines and international borders to tackle the many, complex issues involved in major transactions. And we have one of the broadest networks in the business. Here, you’ll find fascinating, career-building projects, market leading approaches, cutting-edge resources, huge clients and inspirational colleagues. As well as opportunities to develop a deep industry or product specialism.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our purpose & strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.