Senior Director, Synthetic Lethality Oncology Statistics Head, Open to flexible working
Are you a strategic, collaborative and visionary oncology statistics leader?
GSK Oncology is doing some of the most urgent, exciting and innovative work in modern medicine - including developing treatments that could potentially cure patients and wholly transform the way cancer is treated. Through cross-functional collaborations, we play a central role in strategising the drug development plan, identifying and progressing the most promising drug candidates to the next stage of development as early and as accurately as possible via our quantitative expertise, and ultimately ensuring patients gain access to the treatments.
The Research Unit Head of Oncology Statistics in Synthetic Lethality will provide end-to-end statistical leadership from discovery through to development and commercialization; partner with the Research Unit Head in clinical development to fully understand the strategic objectives as well as science and rationale of novel synthetic lethality targets with various pathways; identify the opportunities for the implementation or application of novel statistical methodology unique to synthetic lethality assets; and further establish their reputation both domestically and internationally as a thought leader in statistics.
- Set and lead the biostatistical strategy and technical expertise for the synthetic lethality (SL) research unit, including opportunities for innovation and continuous improvement
- Partner with RU head in clinical development, as well as other supporting functions to understand and align the strategic objectives of the multi-generation SL assets and potential opportunities for drug combinations.
- Build a matrix team of statisticians to support clinical development in novel assets with the primary focus on SL, with the appetite for innovation, development of technical capabilities, as well as behavioural and communication skills to meet the RU objectives
- Understand and educate the biostatistics organization about the science and rationale behind the novel SL assets
- Drive the quantitative decision-making principles/process to inform smart risk-taking drug development
- Contribute to and influence the strategic direction of the asset development and regulatory submission via rigorous and robust statistical knowledge
- Ensure state-of-the-art expertise on all methodological aspects of drug development in statistics
- Partner with counterparts in the Programming organization to ensure high-quality execution of all trial analyses and submissions, planning the resource strategy, with accountability for budget, quality and CRO oversight
- Prioritize the acquisition, retention and development of key talents
- Serve as a member of the Oncology Biostatistics Leadership Team.
- Masters Degree in Statistics or closely related field
- 10+ years experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- 5+ years experience supporting oncology from a statistical perspective
- 5 years experience as a people leader
- Knowledge/understanding of clinical development process through commercialization
Preferred Experience or Qualifications:
- PhD in Statistics or closely related field
- Familiar with the statistical methodology either emerging or implemented in cancer research in order to maximize the program success.
- Ability to drive and influence strategic direction
- Exceptional capability to influence leadership.
- Familiarity with regulatory interactions and pathways.
- Adept at:
- Embedding talent management throughout the team
- Provide constructive feedback to enable team members to perform to their optimum
- Create and lead an empowered, motivated team where diversity of thought is encouraged.
- Track record of strong statistical contributions and accomplishments in clinical drug development, with a broad knowledge of all phases of drug development (pre-clinical; Phase I-IV).
- Demonstrated ability to lead or make major contributions to department, organizational and/or industry-wide initiatives, through effective communication and influence.
- Expertise in a range of statistical methodologies with application to real problems
- Examples of applying innovative statistical thinking
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigor and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.