Senior Scientist/Investigator, Molecular Histology, Open to flexible working
GlaxoSmithKline is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
This role provides molecular histology (immuno and molecular based) assays to support decision making to project timelines. This role will support internal Non-Clinical molecular histology needs from early Discovery into Development, working as part of a UK team.
The role will also require collaborative working with US teams across the global Non-Clinical histology line and the wider Bioimaging department, therefore the work would be flexible.
Histology at GSK
At our world class scientific hub Hertfordshire, UK, our Histology department operating as an integral part of the global Bioimaging platform, currently has an exciting career opportunity for a talented Molecular Histologist with a passion for science, multi-discipline integration, and applying their skill set to addressing human disease. We understand that the fewer barriers there are, the better our work can be. That is why we encourage an enterprising and highly collaborative approach to Discovery projects and Pre-Clinical programs.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manual and automated platform optimisation/validation of IHC/IF antibody clones, dilutions, antigen retrieval and signal amplification technologies on both cryo and paraffin embedded human and animal tissues.
- Optimisation of ISH probe assays on both human and animal tissues.
- Developing & delivering low (2-6 plex) number multiplex immunohistochemistry /Immunofluorescence (IHC/IF)/in situ hybridization (ISH) and dual IHC/ISH protocols in support of Non-Clinical histology.
- Responsible for human sample cut-up, fixation/freezing, biobanking, documentation and sample QC, including ensuring compliance with the GSK policy on HBSM.
- Provide necropsy support on a range of small animal species and strains, including non-standard study designs, and provide accurate recording of necropsy data including macroscopic findings.
- Supporting the use of digital whole slide scanning and the application of image analysis algorithms using commercially available platforms (e.g. HALO, Aperio).
- Adopting and routinely apply other tissue-based assay technologies as they become embedded within the histology community.
- Working collaboratively with Discovery pathologists to identify project needs and develop tissue-based experiments to address project questions by agreed timelines.
- Working in partnership with project teams to understand project issues, provide input and report data to matrix teams, including close networking with all imaging groups across GSK.
- Working in partnership with CROs (Contract Research Organizations) to determine optimal assay conditions and to transfer optimised methods for application to projects.
- Maintaining timely communication to named key study personnel, other key stakeholders and Management, of study related events and/or deviations.
- Sharing responsibility for lab management, HBSM, equipment maintenance, safety rep and similar roles.
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- BSc in Biomedical sciences, cellular pathology, biology, biochemistry or immunology.
- Track record of successfully working up/optimising IHC and ISH protocols.
- Demonstrated Digital pathology expertise in tissue & cell-based Image analysis using commercially available platforms/software.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- PhD in Biomedical sciences, cellular pathology, biology, biochemistry or immunology.
- Experience working with both human and animal tissues as well as biobanking to HBSM or similar compliance standards.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.