Computational Biologist, Open to flexible working
We are seeking motivated, innovative and skilled computational biologist to join our expanding team within the Human Genetics and Computational Biology department. Candidates should be keen to drive and apply state of the art analysis methods to inform decision making across the GSK pipeline, integrating diverse and complex data types to translate genetic signals into innovative new medicines for patients with unmet medical need. You will be encouraged to develop and advance your computational biology skills as well as your internal and external scientific profile through presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
GSK aims to improve the number of successful late stage clinical trials for innovative medicines, by both identifying and advancing drug targets that have strong evidence of a causal role in disease biology. Our team leverages major scientific and technological advances, including investment in biobanks linked to large-scale human health databases, cutting-edge informatics platforms, breakthrough understanding of biological pathways, functional genomics capabilities built upon rapid progress in gene editing, and leading industry-academia partnerships, in order to identify and progress the best targets through the GSK pipeline.
Successful candidates will:
- Help progress the GSK pipeline: Apply innovative computational approaches to translate human genetic and genomic evidence to drive decisions on target selection, validation and clinical translation.
- Work in teams: Participate in or lead cross-functional project teams with GSK scientists and external collaborators.
- Communicate: Be responsible for effective communication of analysis findings, with expert interpretation, to project teams.
- PhD or equivalent experience in computational biology, bioinformatics, genetics, computational sciences, machine learning or biomedical/biological sciences.
- Experience in a programming language (such as R, Python or Perl) for complex data analysis.
- Knowledge of fundamental concepts in biology, genetics and statistics.
- Experience in the analysis of multi-omics data (e.g. transcriptomics, regulatory genomics, proteomics), including at the single cell level.
- Knowledge of genome-wide genetic, genomic, pathway and network methods.
- Skills to collect, integrate, mine and analyse complex biological data and translate them into testable hypotheses.
- Experience in analysing data sets related to immunology, neuroscience, infectious disease or oncology.
- Experience working within collaborative, multidisciplinary teams.
- Knowledge of the drug discovery and development process.
- Publication record in peer reviewed journals.
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.