Computational Biologist, Open to flexible working
The GSK Computational Biology team in Functional Genomics is seeking a self-motivated Computational Biologist to join our dynamic and multidisciplinary team in Stevenage, UK.
As a Computational Biologist, you will be working in a dynamic and highly collaborative environment, communicating complex informatics principles, methods and analyses to scientists from diverse backgrounds.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Identify, develop, implement and use computational biology methods to impact drug discovery and development.
- Support drug discovery and development across the R&D organisation through integrative analysis of all forms of functional genomics data.
- Develop new computational and statistical methods to understand the underlying biological mechanisms driving disease.
- Contribute to multiple phases of the drug discovery pipeline, driving the development of new medicines for important diseases of unmet medical need.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE - Wednesday 23rd June
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Here at GSK, we are seeking someone that is passionate and able to 'roll up their sleeves' when needed and in return we will offer fantastic career progression and the opportunity to engage with Senior Stakeholders, allowing you to shape and contribute to the success of the business.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Genomics or a related field; or MSc and relevant experience in the fields above.
- Experience in a programming language (such as R, Python, Perl) for complex data analysis.
- Knowledge of fundamental concepts in biology and statistics.
- Good communication skills and ability to work effectively in teams.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Knowledge of genome-wide genetic, genomic, pathway and network methods.
- Skills to collect, integrate, mine and analyse complex biological data and translate them into testable hypotheses.
- Knowledge of and experience with common bioinformatics databases, resources and tools.
- Experience in single cell genomics analysis.
- Experience in processing multiple large scale genomic and genetic platforms, such as transcriptomic, proteomic or Next Generation sequencing data, including understanding of pathway/network analyses.
- Experience in analysis of functional genomics experimental readouts (CRISPR in phenotypic screens coupled with OMICs/imaging).
- Experience in analysing data sets related to oncology or/and immunology.
- Publication record in peer reviewed journals.
- Ability to work effectively in multidisciplinary teams.
- Knowledge of the drug discovery and development process.
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.