Director - Programme & Project Improvement Practitioner, Open to flexible working & returners
Director - Programme & Project Improvement Practitioner (Nuclear Sector Focus), Capital Projects
This is your opportunity to join the Capital Projects team within the Real Assets Advisory practice of Deloitte LLP, one of the world’s leading providers of professional services. We’ve established a new benchmark in how capital projects advisory services are delivered, with an unparalleled capability to provide innovative cross service solutions to the most complex construction, infrastructure and property challenges. As a team made up of project delivery, construction, assets and finance professionals, we provide project and business consulting services, as well as specialist commercial, delivery and technical advice, to a wide range of public and private sector Clients in the UK and abroad. Through our range of advisory and assurance interventions, we can help Clients with everything from standing up new projects for success, managing complex transformation, identifying and focusing performance improvement, and recovery from distress.
Within Deloitte Real Assets Advisory is our growing Capital Projects Consulting business and the Nuclear sector-facing team. The team consists of construction delivery and commercial professionals, including chartered surveyors, cost consultants, engineers, risk and assurance professionals, and accountants.
Deloitte currently provides comprehensive consultancy and advisory services, working seamlessly with specialist teams in areas of assurance and advisory, tax, corporate finance and consulting, to deliver fully integrated expert solutions on a national and global basis. Working here will give you the chance to gain experience on a truly diverse range of large and complex Programme and Project types. The calibre of clients is exceptionally high and you’ll have the opportunity to develop across different areas as your experience grows. There is a comprehensive suite of learning and development opportunities.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
The Capital Projects team provides Consulting, Delivery, Assurance and Due Diligence services to clients across a range of industry sectors, including nuclear, transportation, energy, and utilities. We act as a critical friend to our clients, providing end to end advisory and assurance as well as project delivery capabilities. We help our clients plan, manage and deliver significant capital expenditure, often supporting complex business transformation, optimizing the value delivered through capital investment.
Within our team you will have the opportunity to:
- Work with like-minded people who are at the forefront of their chosen field and work within a stimulating and challenging environment, with a focus on outstanding client service;
- Gain experience in a range of technical areas spanning strategy definition, transformation programmes, assurance and distressed situations;
- Work in a business consulting environment, advising clients at executive management level to help them solve some of their most complex problems; and
- Work with a wide range of public and private sector clients in the UK and internationally.
- You will be exposed to a wide variety of engagements in nuclear and a range of industries.
- Defining the strategy for the delivery of a high profile, multi-billion-pound capital investment programme, including designing and establishing a new client organisation from scratch;
- Reviewing the commercial and financial controls in a construction company and advising on the potential risks and mitigation measures that need to be implemented; and
- Being part of a team tasked with helping a client to recover a major capital investment programme that is in distress, stabilising it and re-establishing effective control of the delivery.
- A team delivering P3 performance improvements across an enterprise.
- Working on high-profile assignments, you will require a demonstrably strong background and practical experience in delivering programmes, projects or initiatives, with practical expertise in one or several of the following core business areas:
- Construction: e.g. infrastructure; nuclear; energy; utilities; oil and gas;
- Knowledge and experience in nuclear sector project delivery;
- Awareness or practical knowledge of the regulatory environment;
- Risk identification and analysis – e.g. in scope, schedule (QSRA) and cost (QCRA);
- Delivery Confidence Assessments, performance and conformance reviews;
- Programme and/or Project organization, operating model development, delivery and improvement;
- Business Case development and scrutiny (e.g. five case model);
- Commercial & Procurement;
- Change Management;
- Assurance strategy, planning, mapping and effectiveness;
- Assurance reviews to inform Executive decision making
We take personal development seriously, offering a comprehensive range of learning and development opportunities within a stretching yet highly supportive environment. Our appraisal process is structured, transparent and interactive so you will receive continuous training and ongoing supportive feedback to achieve the goals that you set yourself. You will be part of an environment where excellent client service, creativity, hard work and ambition are rewarded.
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Location: Manchester, with occasional domestic and international travel.
Work Pattern: Permanent full time.
Your professional experience
- A relevant professional qualification e.g. but not restricted to CEng, MICE, MRICS,
- A 2:1 degree with strong A-level results or equivalent qualifications and/or a relevant post graduate qualification;
- Experience of working for a major consulting firm in a client facing role, or Client-side including some business development responsibility;
- Previous industry experience, ideally working for a project management organisation (which might be Client-side), cost and commercial consultancy, tier 1 contractor;
- Technical knowledge of design, procurement, construction, contract and supply-chain management;
- Strong commercial acumen and market awareness;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to write clear, concise reports;
- The ability to build strong, effective working relationships and manage engagement teams;
- Confidence, independence and proactivity; and
- The ability to travel as required.
Sector Experience: Eight years plus experience of multi-site, Programme Management, for example, through large-scale infrastructure Programmes in aviation, rail, construction, defence, energy, nuclear (preferred), or oil and gas, along with skills in leading change and transformation across complex regulated environments, is desirable. Some public sector experience desirable but not essential.
Project Review Experience: Experience which comprises a range of review team membership and or leadership roles with accountability at a senior level across the Programme/Project lifecycle, including PIA. Working knowledge of HM Treasury Green Book and the five-case model conducting assurance and project audit (conformance). By way of example, your experience will equip you to lead or support a complex Project Review, including some or all the following:
- Capability to participate in or design and lead independent assurance reviews of complex medium to high risk Programmes, Projects and changes therein;
- Experience in designing and implementing assurance strategies and plans (IAAP’s);
- Familiar with and able to conduct and participate in sanction (gateway style) reviews, for example aligned to or tailored from aligned to IPA scope, and PAR’s;
- Ability to scope the requirements for a review, develop approach and lines of enquiry, brief-in and steer supporting technical expertise, and where required, to deliver targeted assessment reviews reviews of the impact of change on Programmes and Projects;
- Strong knowledge of the construct of complex schedules (Programme Plans) and costs estimates sufficient to review and challenge (ask the right questions about) the integrity of those under review. Awareness of P6 and scheduling practice;
- Knowledge and demonstrable understanding of Probabilistic Risk Assessment on schedule and cost sufficient to review against good practice, the approach and construct of assessments by others;
- Ability to assimilate and evaluate information from both documentation, interviews and workshop observations to reach conclusions. Ability to lead interviews; and
- Strong attention to detail with ability to write unambiguous rigorous reports, including those for a non-technical audience.
Qualifications: Degree standard. Membership of a Professional Surveying, Engineering, or Construction Institution; MSP/Prince2 Practitioner level or demonstrable equivalent.
Your service line: Financial Advisory
Advising clients in the moments that define their business takes multiple layers of expertise. Much more than due-diligence, this is about diverse teams of specialists coming together, crossing service lines and international borders to tackle the many, complex issues involved in major transactions. And we have one of the broadest networks in the business. Here, you’ll find fascinating, career-building projects, market leading approaches, cutting-edge resources, huge clients and inspirational colleagues. As well as opportunities to develop a deep industry or product specialism.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Please click 'Apply' to submit your application