Director of Data Strategy, Open to flexible working
This is an exciting opportunity to join GSK Consumer Healthcare to shape and deliver our enterprise data strategy. Becoming a data driven organisation is a critical success factor as we become a standalone company and a high priority of our CEO. This role is ideal for a person with the drive & motivation, gravitas and leadership to shape our vision and ensure successful execution of our strategic direction.
The Director of Data Strategy is accountable for shaping and agreeing the enterprise data strategy and vision; this is a critical success factor of our business, particularly as Consumer Healthcare separates from GSK. They must work across the mid and long-term horizons to future-proof our enterprise strategy to ensure the large investments which we are making are directionally correct.
In the shorter term, this person will engage across the Consumer Healthcare leadership team, the functions and regions (up to a C-level) to agree the enterprise data strategy and priorities; they will also apply the strategy successfully at a local level to business-critical functions and markets. To be successful they must pioneer the use of agile approaches to continually adapt, focus efforts and deliver early value. The Director of Data Strategy will then also have to work across the data leadership team to bring this strategy to life and execute.
This person will lead a direct team of ~2 internal resources and a supplementary team of external resources. In addition, the Director of Data Strategy will help direct the work effort and investment choices across the data team. They will also provide leadership and ongoing coaching to colleagues across the team.
They must have the gravitas and be confident to work in close partnership with senior stakeholders (up to a C-level) from across various parts of the business, helping them to set direction and drive towards strategic objectives. Applicants should be experienced in leading teams and in providing ongoing coaching and oversight. In addition, a strong strategic background and business outcomes focused skillset is required.
The director of strategy is accountable for the definition and execution of the enterprise data strategy by providing directional leadership across the data function and across the organisation as the data strategy is applied cross-functionally and cross-regionally.
Accountable for defining the future enterprise data strategy on both a mid and long-term horizon, including:
- Securing endorsement and sponsorship for the enterprise strategic direction across Consumer Healthcare at an executive and senior management level
- Provide directional leadership by reviewing the long-term strategy against emergent trends, other best in class businesses, and market dynamics
- Ensuring mid-term strategic direction is driving enterprise wide value, working to correct and re-direct the strategy as necessary
- Ensuring subordinate strategies (across global functions and within markets) are aligned to the enterprise data strategy
- Management of the external parties used to supplement the definition and delivery of the enterprise data strategy
Accountable for ensuring successful execution of the strategy across the data leadership team, including:
- Providing leadership and direction so that cross-functional and cross-market investments and efforts are aligned to strategic priorities
- Translating strategic direction into an executable approach
- Chairing regular leadership meetings to drive direction, ensure execution of the enterprise data strategy and strategic initiatives
- Establishing a framework to manage progress against strategic initiatives and strategic objectives
- Ensuring right balance of investment between short-term value and longer-term scale
Accountable for executive alignment and driving the transformational change programme, including:
- Interfacing with cross-functional senior stakeholders (up to the executive) to ensure endorsement and support for the enterprise data strategy
- Leading the on-going alignment with the Consumer Healthcare business strategy and the Jooyong (Exec Head of Strategy); also leading the continued alignment with the enterprise wide Digital Strategy
- Managing the direction and approach of the change team and transformation change programme
- Ensuring operating alignment and clarity on the ways of working between key functions such as digital and technology
Accountable for tracking the execution of strategic goals and value realisation, including:
- Leading a regular series of leadership and executive interviews and a cross-functional/regional data capability survey
- Agreeing and managing a measurement framework to track the global and local success of the strategy and value delivered
- Regularly reporting progress up to the executive and CEO
- Strategy: a background in strategy is necessary having experience of strategy development, strategic planning and execution for business functions or businesses
- Data: domain experience, having worked with or inside a data function
- Stakeholder management: necessary gravitas and influence to work with senior stakeholders up to a C-level to ensure successful execution of strategic direction
- Agile: Experience of an agile approach and the agile delivery methods used to deliver early value to business stakeholders
- Team Leadership: Experience of leading internal and external teams. Would benefit from a demonstrated a passion for coaching and supporting team members
Interested in Joining the Team?
Please apply via our online portal providing your CV and Cover Letter.
(Please take a personal copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available online post closure of the advert)
Why Consumer Healthcare?
In GSK Consumer Healthcare, we are on an incredible journey as we prepare to create a new, standalone, world leading company with a 100% single-minded focus on everyday health. We are doing this at a time when the work we do has never mattered more. With the COVID pandemic, people are increasingly looking for ways to manage their own health and wellbeing and to take care of their families. This is where we come in. With category leading brands such as Sensodyne, Voltaren and Centrum, built on trusted science and human understanding, and combined with our passion, knowledge and expertise, we are uniquely placed to deliver better everyday health to millions of people around the world and grow a strong, successful business. This is an opportunity to be part of something special.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.