Principal Statistician or Statistician - Research (Non-Clinical), Open to flexible working
5 days left
- Contract Type
Our team (Research Statistics) collaborates with top laboratory and clinical scientists to advance exciting, innovative ideas in drug discovery. We design experiments, analyze data, and visualize results for projects that range from small studies with single endpoints to high-dimensional genomic data. We use traditional statistical methods and modern machine learning algorithms, design experiments to develop new technologies and analyze data to identify biomarkers for clinical trials. Our work is varied and challenging with the common goal to advance the science of human health.
To succeed, team members need good technical and communication skills, the desire to develop their statistical and scientific knowledge continually, and the ability to develop practical solutions and apply statistical techniques in creative ways. Successful candidates will be innovative, pragmatic, and flexible, thriving in a dynamic, collegial environment with frequent new challenges and excellent opportunities to develop and succeed.
In this role, the Statistician / Principal Statistician will be responsible for providing statistical design and analysis for scientific research projects at GSK under the supervision of a more experienced statistician within our team.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating closely with GSK scientists and other statisticians to address drug discovery questions with statistical methods.
- Applying existing statistical methods or developing new ones to address scientific problems.
- Designing experiments to address scientific questions clearly and accurately.
- Analyzing data accurately and visualizing scientific results clearly to provide insight for making drug discovery decisions.
- Communicating statistical concepts, design recommendations, and the results of statistical analyses clearly and accurately to GSK scientists and scientific managers.
- Working with other statisticians on internal department initiatives, e.g. to develop specific technical or consulting skills, new processes, etc.
- Reviewing literature and writing simulations to evaluate statistical methods for application to drug discovery problems.
- Representing our statistics team in collaborations with other internal statistics teams and scientists.
GSK's overall R&D strategy focuses on science related to the immune system, the use of human genetics and advanced technologies. These unlock the potential of new areas of science, enabling us to design and develop new classes of medicine and bring them to patients more quickly and cost-effectively.
Applications close once position is filled.
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- MSc or PhD in statistics, biostatistics, or a closely related field.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Strong academic record
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- To apply statistical skills accurately to practical problems
- To collaborate well with statisticians and scientists from other disciplines
- To explain novel and standard statistical methods clearly to scientific colleagues
- To identify existing or develop new statistical methods to improve the design, analysis, and interpretation of scientific studies
- To evaluate, recommend, and implement statistical tools for addressing scientific problems
- To learn new statistics skills quickly and independently
Motivated to continue learning new statistical skills and to solve challenging problems in drug discovery
Practical understanding of at least some of the following statistics topics:
- Experimental design, mixed models, Bayesian methods, linear and nonlinear regression, repeated measures, machine learning algorithms, analysis of high-dimensional data
GSK is a place where outstanding people do amazing things. As a science-led global healthcare company, we exist to help people do more, feel better, live longer. This special purpose - along with our goal of being one of the world's most innovative, best performing and trusted healthcare companies - helps us attract some of the best and brightest minds in the world.
We take pride in providing access to all and continually focus on our opportunity and obligation to do more to improve inclusion and diversity: for our people inside GSK; in the way we do business; and in the communities where we operate.
We want our company to be a place where diversity of people and thought is valued everywhere and where we're all able to be ourselves and feel a sense of belonging. An inclusive organization where we all feel valued, engaged and supported, knowing that our work makes an important contribution to our mission. Reinforced by our clear values and expectations , it is part of our DNA. Together we achieve extraordinary things for our patients and consumers, who rely on us each and every day.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.