Computational Chemist, Open to flexible working
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist to work in the Chemical Sciences department, within the Medicine Design division of R&D, to support research activities across multiple therapeutic areas. The position will involve application of computational chemistry methods which address the needs of R&D research programs or capability gaps. The successful applicant will be expected to exhibit a high degree of technical skill combined with excellent people skills, the ability to prioritise and innovate across multiple scientific domains.
- Apply cutting edge computational chemistry techniques to drive drug discovery programs
- Develop new capabilities and infrastructure which assist other scientists in their work
- Evaluate new technologies and make recommendations on adoption
- Work closely with colleagues from other disciplines in a matrix environment
Basic Qualifications (minimum requirements, "must have" and required skills):
- MSc or equivalent in chemistry or pharmacy
- Demonstrated track record of applying computational techniques to address challenges in medicinal chemistry
- Evidence of a broad knowledge of computational methods which will include a deep knowledge of one or more areas of molecular simulation, quantum mechanics or free energy methods
- Evidence of competence in the use of python for scripting
- Evidence of competence in one or more of the following: molecular property prediction, conformational analysis, protein homology modelling
Preferred Qualifications (desired skills/qualifications but not required):
- Post graduate qualification in computational chemistry
- Demonstrated track record of contribution to multiple medicinal chemistry projects
- Evidence of the ability to develop novel algorithms
- Evidence of programming competence in a chemical toolkit
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and troubleshoot
GSK is a place where outstanding people do amazing things. As a science-led global healthcare company, we exist to help people do more, feel better, live longer. This special purpose - along with our goal of being one of the world's most innovative, best performing and trusted healthcare companies - helps us attract some of the best and brightest minds in the world.
We take pride in providing access to all and continually focus on our opportunity and obligation to do more to improve inclusion and diversity: for our people inside GSK; in the way we do business; and in the communities where we operate.
We want our company to be a place where diversity of people and thought is valued everywhere and where we're all able to be ourselves and feel a sense of belonging. An inclusive organization where we all feel valued, engaged and supported, knowing that our work makes an important contribution to our mission. Reinforced by our clear values and expectations , it is part of our DNA. Together we achieve extraordinary things for our patients and consumers, who rely on us each and every day.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.