Global Communications Officer - Sustainability, Open to flexible working
Corporate Relations (CR) has a critical leadership role in protecting and promoting Diageo’s reputation and licence to operate, working to unlock value in service of our Performance Ambition. The work of the function contributes directly to our ambition to become the best performing, most trusted and respected consumer goods company in the world.
The External Communications team sits within the Global Brand and Communications team (GBC), which is a centre of excellence within the CR function. The GBC team is responsible for the development and delivery of an integrated reputation, communications, and engagement strategy and is accountable for: external PR, media relations and press office communications, internal communications and employee engagement; financial communications; global supply communications; Brand Diageo (our corporate brand); and the management of issues and crisis communications.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Global Communications Officer – Sustainability will be responsible for delivering the sustainability components of the corporate communications strategy and world class media relations and employee engagement on behalf of the global plc. Your key accountabilities include:
- Working with the Corporate PR Director and the Global Employee Engagement Director to deliver Diageo’s Sustainability Communications Plan to both external and internal audiences.
- Generate global coverage for Diageo’s sustainability programmes and campaigns and amplify internally across all employee channels. Working within a matrixed structure, including with the Diageo in Society team, the Global Supply Sustainability team and the Head of Brand Sustainability to proactively generate a consistent supply of news stories to showcase Diageo’s leadership in sustainability.
- Planning and supporting the successful delivery of set-piece Diageo activity for sustainability calendar days, e.g. World Water Day, World Earth Day and World Environment Day.
- Owning and generating content for Diageo’s corporate digital channels (Diageo. Com/Twitter/Instagram).
- Joint responsibility, with Global Press Officers, for the day-to day running of the Global press office, delivery of media events and management of the team’s global digital channels. Build, manage and sustain media relations with primary focus on business media, but to include broader trade media relations as well.
- Public Relations and integrated communications experience
- Educated to graduate level with a minimum of 4 years’ PR and communications experience, within an agency, a consumer brand or FMCG industry, preferably in a sustainability communications role.
- A track record of executing communications campaigns with a demonstration of strong writing skills. Experience of both external and internal communications preferable.
- Strong, current understanding of sustainability issues and passion for sustainability projects.
- Management of Agencies.
- Calm under pressure and can apply sound judgment.
- Has experience, or a desire to experience, working in a highly commercial environment.
- Has the ability to work with leaders and colleagues at all levels and across functions.
- Managing complexity. Ability to deliver performance within a matrixed, complex, multi-stakeholder environment.
- Strong drive, resilience and determination
Celebrating our inclusive and diverse culture is core to Diageo’s purpose of “celebrating life every day everywhere”. This purpose is, in itself, inclusive in nature, as it values everybody irrespective of background, disability, religion, gender identity, sexuality or ethnicity.
We know that for our business to thrive and for Diageo to realize its ambition, we depend on having diverse talent with a range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities in each of the 180 countries in which we operate and to reflect our broad consumer base. We view diversity as one of the key enablers that helps our business to grow and our values, purpose and standards set the conditions for us to respect the unique contribution each person brings.
Flexibility is key to success in our business and many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, compressed hours, flexible location. Please talk to us about what flexibility means to you and don’t let anything stop you from applying.
CHARACTER IS EVERYTHING