Functional Genomics, UK Collaboration Lead, Open to flexible working
Are you interested in a highly visible, senior scientific position that influences and shapes GSK R&D strategy by managing our Functional Genomics (FxG) External Collaborations in the UK while working within our internal and external global network of R&D stakeholders and partners? If so, this role is an exciting opportunity to explore.
Reporting to the Senior Director FxG External Partnerships, the FxG, UK Collaboration Lead is accountable for establishing and shaping the development, evolution and delivery of a network of UK external collaborations in the field of functional genomics and to ensure that internal GSK partners across Research, Oncology and Vaccines are aware of the collaboration opportunities, that the best collaborative projects are identified, that external capabilities are maximized, and that outputs such as targets, new biology are communicated and exploited by GSK and relevant technologies internalized.
The role is expected to contribute scientifically to collaborations, and to shape and influence collaborations and portfolio to deliver the FxG objectives of technologies, targets and data, and to maximize value to GSK.
The FxG, UK Collaboration Lead will partner with external collaborators, the collaboration governance teams, the internal governance and funding stakeholders (including VPs and SVPs), and senior R&D stakeholders to ensure appropriate resourcing for project design and delivery, and to ensure timely realization of value from external collaboration investment.
Key Responsibilities :
- Accountable for delivery of key UK FxG strategic collaborations (e.g. Open Targets, UK FxG Oxford).
- Shape the development, evolution and delivery of a network of UK collaborations, science and portfolios to maximize the value to GSK and to achieve FxG objectives (e.g. C2TVs, C2Ts, new biology and evaluation/internalisation of innovative technologies).
- Establish, implement, and optimize GSK and collaborative scientific research activities, in partnership with collaborators.
- Drive GSK interests as member of external collaborations governance FxG Teams and collaborations teams for UK collaborations.
- Drive engagement and collaborate with internal partners and senior stakeholders, to develop, review, prioritize, and access existing and new collaborative project opportunities.
- Work closely with global collaborations team to maximize synergies between collaborations, including optimal placement of projects and capability mapping to drive the optimal balance of internal and external science.
- Lead scientific assessment of value for UK collaborations and accountable for preparation of recommendations for extension or termination and monitoring of budget allocated to the collaborations.
- Ensure appropriate and dedicated FxG resourcing of UK collaborations.
- Integrate external FxG portfolio with internal ("one FxG Portfolio") and ensure co-ordinated view for all FxG collaborations (including small ones).
- Liaise with computational and data science teams to ensure that analytical strategies are developed and applied to maximize value of external data.
- PhD or equivalent experience related to experimental functional genomics and/or computational biology.
- Demonstrated experience of initiating and/or leading external collaborations.
- Experience in working with external senior academic collaborators.
- Scientific credibility in Functional Genomics capabilities (e.g. Omics, Computational Biology, Gene screens, causal genes mapping, etc...).
- Experience in influencing senior managers (VP level and above) and working in complex environments with sometime limited information or guidance to make decisions/recommendations.
- Experience developing strategies and in operationalising strategic decisions.
- Experience in communicating complex concepts to diverse audiences.
- Experience in interacting successfully with multiple partners.
- High-level interpersonal skills to facilitate interactions with field-leading external collaborators and diverse stakeholders in all parts of the organization.
- Problem solving with external scientists to develop and deliver innovative collaborative projects that maximally impact GSK yet appropriately align with the agreed collaboration framework.
- Influencing skills around scientific strategy and portfolio/resource/technology optimization.
GSK is a place where outstanding people do amazing things. As a science-led global healthcare company, we exist to help people do more, feel better, live longer. This special purpose - along with our goal of being one of the world's most innovative, best performing and trusted healthcare companies - helps us attract some of the best and brightest minds in the world.
We take pride in providing access to all and continually focus on our opportunity and obligation to do more to improve inclusion and diversity: for our people inside GSK; in the way we do business; and in the communities where we operate.
We want our company to be a place where diversity of people and thought is valued everywhere and where we're all able to be ourselves and feel a sense of belonging. An inclusive organization where we all feel valued, engaged and supported, knowing that our work makes an important contribution to our mission. Reinforced by our clear values and expectations, it is part of our DNA. Together we achieve extraordinary things for our patients and consumers, who rely on us each and every day.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK/ViiV Healthcare, please contact your local HR department.
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.